Gov Ganduje shuts all schools in Kano, orders parents to evacuate children

Gov Ganduje shuts all schools in Kano, orders parents to evacuate children

- Schools in Kano state, northwest Nigeria are shutting down with immediate effect

- A statement from authorities in the state ordered parents to pick up their wards in the schools

- Neigbouring Kaduna state had earlier shut down its own schools as fears over the second wave of COVID-19 heightens

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

Kano governor, Dr. Abdullahi Ganduje, has ordered the closure of all public and private schools in the state.

In a terse statement sent to journalists on Tuesday, December 15, and seen by Legit.ng, the governor also asked parents to evacuate their wards from schools.

The statement which was signed by the state commissioner for education, Sanusi Kiru, was silent on why the decision was hastily taken.

Gov Ganduje shuts all schools in Kano, orders parents to evacuate children
Governor Ganduje ordered that all schools should be shut with immediate effect. Photo credit: @GovUmarGanduje
Source: Twitter

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Read also

BREAKING: Prominent Nigerian governor shuts down all schools over rise in COVID-19 cases

Part of the statement read:

“His Excellency, The executive governor of Kano state has approved the closure of all public and private schools in the state with immediate effect.
“Parents whose children are in boarding schools are to also arrange and convey their children/wards back home from tomorrow, Wednesday, 16th December 2020. All inconveniences are regretted.”

Recall that Governor Nasir El-Rufai earlier in the day ordered the closure of all schools in Kaduna state in a statement by the commissioner for education, Shehu Makarfi.

The commissioner said that recent statistics reveal that the much-talked-about second wave of the virus has already started in the state.

He added that the ministry of health in Kaduna has further confirmed that the new wave is rampant among persons within the age bracket of 10 and 35 years which accounts for the population in the education sector.

Meanwhile, coronavirus recently claimed the life of Clement Bakam, a medical doctor in the state.

Read also

Just in: Northern governor hands over power to deputy, gives reason

Bakam's death was announced in a statement released on Wednesday, September 2, by Abdulsalam Abdulrazak, the public relations officer of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) chapter in Kaduna state. A

Until his death, Bakam was the programme manager of the Kaduna state emergency routine immunisation coordination centre.

In a related development, the Nigerian Army on Monday, December 14, revealed that 26 officers have been confirmed positive for the coronavirus following the death of Major-General Johnson Irefin.

Sagir Musa, the acting director of the force's public relations, made this disclosure in Abuja, saying 419 personnel have been tested and told to proceed into isolation.

He said the decision is based on the directives issued by the chief of the army staff, Major-General Tukur Yusuf Buratai, following the death of the General Officer Commanding (GOC), 6 Division, Port Harcourt.

Coronavirus: 5 ways Nigeria is handling COVID-19 | Legit TV

Read also

COVID-19: Total lockdown looms as Kaduna shuts down universities, secondary schools

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel