EndSARS: Nigerians react to order to freeze accounts, criticise CBN governor

EndSARS: Nigerians react to order to freeze accounts, criticise CBN governor

- Nigerians are on social media venting about the freezing of the accounts of some people linked to the EndSARS protests

- It was reported earlier that the CBN got approval from the court to freeze these accounts

- Nigerian youths criticised the CBN governor for going behind closed doors to freeze accounts while trying to dialogue with some EndSARS promoters

- Others accused the federal government of trying to oppress the masses

PAY ATTENTION: Win a prize of N115,000, N75000 or N38000: participate in Big Naija Independence contest by Legit.ng

The governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, Godwin Emefiele, has fanned the wrath of Nigerians after filing a suit seeking to freeze the accounts of some people involved in the EndSARS protests that rocked the country.

Legit.ng had reported that Nigeria's apex bank got the go-ahead to freeze the accounts of 19 people and a public affairs company linked to the protests against police brutality in Nigeria.

If we have not done enough, please bear with us - Buhari begs Nigerians

A document showed that on Tuesday, October 20, CBN filed the request and was granted permission by the court on Thursday, November 5.

Some Nigerians who are still not over what happened in the country some weeks back when protesters who were not armed were shot at are not happy with this development and have threatened to return to the streets.

Others are criticising the CBN governor and have resorted to calling him names.

EndSARS: Nigerians react to order to freeze accounts, criticise CBN governor

The CBN governor is facing harsh criticisms over an order to freeze accounts of some EndSARS promoters. Photo credit: @nigerianyouth_s
Source: Twitter

Below are some of the comments gathered from Twitter by Legit.ng:

Oby Ezekwesili, a former education minister and ex-vice president of the World Bank's Africa region wrote on Twitter:

"What manner of contradiction is this, @MBuhari? You have young people on your mandated state panels of enquiry on #EndSARS whose personal accounts your lackey at the @cenbank has gone on to freeze. Does this make any sense?
"Incompetence is actually more dangerous than COVID-19.
Be ready to face the law: Lagos govt sends strong warning to EndSARS protesters
"So because Godwin Emefiele did not succeed in persuading the young #EndSARS protesters to call-off their protest at that inglorious meeting he called some of them to with the private sector, he’s now using our public institution, @cenbank, to punish them? Better be wise, Godwin."

Fisayo Soyombo said CBN had already frozen the accounts before running to court for an order. He said:

"They couldn't even think straight before striking."

@firstladyship said Emefiele has chosen his side and it is not with the Nigerian youth.

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

Kanny said Nigerian leaders have misplaced priorities. According to him, if the energy used in blocking accounts of protesters is used to block that of Boko Haram sponsors, the war against terrorism would have been won.

Victor Babatunde with the handle @vhic_tore said the only power the youths have is social media.

Just in: Do this and Buhari's govt will hasten restructuring - Pastor Bakare tells Nigerians

Another tweep described the move as undemocratic and oppressive.

Legit.ng previously reported that the federal government denied compiling a ‘no-fly list’ of Nigerian youths who participated in the #ENDSARS protests across the country.

This was n contained in a tweet on Tuesday, November 3, by the Federal Ministry of Interior.

The federal government described as fake news, the report claiming that it was restricting some key #EndSARS protesters from travelling out of Nigeria.

EndSars protest: Enough is enough, let them be dismissed - Market woman cries out | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Online view pixel