- Governor Makinde has visited families of the EndSARS protesters killed in Ogbomoso
- The governor begged the protesters to be more civil in their demands from the government
- Makinde also visited the Soun of Ogbomoso, Oba Oladunni Oyewumi Ajagungbade III, whose palace was destroyed by the protesters
PAY ATTENTION: Win a prize of N115,000, N75000 or N38000: participate in Big Naija Independence contest by Legit.ng
Following the deaths of Jimoh Isiaka and two other victims during the EndSARS protests in the Ogbomosho area of Oyo state, Governor Seyi Makinde on Tuesday, October 13, visited families of the deceased.
Legit.ng reports that he said as a government, the state would not forget the last few days in a hurry and the needless deaths of Isiaka Jimoh, Ganiyu Moshood Alabi, and Adeoye Taiwo.
He explained that beyond the EndSARS protest, most Nigerians have become frustrated over the prevailing harsh economic reality in the country, adding that if the government fails to address youth idleness with gainful employment there might be a future disaster.
The governor also noted that while his government was not against peaceful protest, protesters must be responsible enough to voice their concerns as the state government would work more at ensuring youths in the state were meaningfully engaged.
"We visited Ogbomoso to see the families of three of our children who died during the End SARS protests. We began the process of compensating the families for the losses they suffered and promised to do more in the coming days.
"Our hearts go out to all those who have suffered directly and indirectly during these protests. As a government, we will not forget the last few days in a hurry nor the needless deaths of Isiaka Jimoh, Ganiyu Moshood Alabi, and Adeoye Taiwo."
He also pledged the sum of N100 million to begin immediate repairs of the palace of the Soun of Ogbomoso, Oba Oladunni Oyewumi Ajagungbade III, and replacement of destroyed properties.
While appealing to the Soun to forgive the perpetrators, Governor Makinde, who described the protesters as the monarch’s children, assured that the government would meaningfully engage the youths population to douse the tension and prevent a possible recall.
The governor added:
"We were also at the Palace of Kabiyesi, Oba Oladunni Oyewumi Ajagungbade III, the Soun of Ogbomoso. We pledged the sum of N100 Million to begin immediate repairs of the palace and replacement of destroyed properties.
"We told Kabiyesi not to hold what has happened against our children. Although regretted, all that took place was a result of the years of failure of governance which we are working to correct. We accepted Kabiyesi’s prayers for a better Nigeria and a better Oyo state."
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, set up a new replacement for the disbanded SARS.
It was reported that the new unit, Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT), was announced on Tuesday, October 13, as heightened demonstrations continued across the country and on social media against the brutality of the police.
Buhari, EndSARS now - Abuja protesters cry | - on Legit TV