- The Umuahia-Bende-Ohafia road was recently approved for construction by the Federal Executive Council
- The approval for the road came into fruition after months of intense lobbying by Honourable Benjamin Kalu
- The lawmaker has expressed his delight over the approval of the road which was said to have been abandoned for 44 years
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
Spokesman for the Nigerian House of Representatives, Honourable Benjamin Kalu, has commended the federal government over the approval for the construction of Umuahia-Bende-Ohafia road in Abia state by the Federal Executive Council (FEC).
At its sitting on Wednesday, September 23, the FEC approved the construction of the road which had been abandoned for 44 years.
Legit.ng gathered that the project came into fruition after months of intense lobbying and frequent advocacy visits to the minister of works and housing, Mr Babatunde Raji Fashola, by Kalu, who is currently representing Bende Federal Constituency at the green chamber.
In a statement sent to Legit.ng on Thursday, September 24, Kalu expressed appreciation to President Muhammad Buhari and Fashola, stressing that the when done, the road would boost the economic fortunes of the people in the area.
“I thank President Muhammadu Buhari and the entire Federal Executive Council for acknowledging our request for federal intervention in the Umuahia-Bende-Ohafia road and approving the rehabilitation and construction of the road which had been abandoned since its construction in 1976.
“The people of Bende have suffered greatly as a result of the severe dilapidation of the road; therefore, FEC's approval of the project is concrete proof that this particular administration is genuine about stopping infrastructure decay in the country.
“I especially thank the honourable minister of works and housing, Babatunde Fashola, for his cooperation and for taking this project as his own over the last year.’’
Meanwhile, President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed sadness over the death of 23 persons who lost their lives on Wednesday, September 23, in a tanker explosion.
Buhari in reaction to the deaths confirmed by the Federal Road Safety Commission stated that the incident represents another disturbing and saddening development in the litany of tragedies that have befallen the country.
In a related development, Governor Yahaya Bello has declared two-day mourning to honour the victims of the inferno.
The was disclosed in a statement by the Kogi state commissioner of information, Kingsley Fanwo, who urged indigenes of the state to use the incident as an avenue for deep and sober reflection.
Extortion: Yam dealer laments, says he pays illegal fees to road miscreants | Legit TV