- A northeast peace group has condemned the attack on the convoy of the Borno state governor
- The group commiserated with the governor, the military and all families of all security personnel lost during the attack
- According to the group, such action by suspected terrorists in the region should attract the harshest response possible from releavnt agencies
The North-East Peace Assembly (N-EPA) on Saturday, September 26, commiserated with the Borno state governor, Babagana Zulum, over the attack on his convoy by some suspected members of the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP).
The group also commiserated with families of the deceased who were affected by the attack.
Stating that the attack which led to the death of some police officers, military personnel and members of the civilian JTF is a growing desperation by the insurgents, the group said there is an attempt by terrorists' supporters to reclaim relevance.
N-EPA in a statement urged the governor and the Nigerian military to remain focused in the fight against terrorism in the state and the northeast region at large.
The group said considering that Governor Zulum was on an inspection tour of Baga area when his convoy was attacked, such action should attract the harshest response possible from the forces fighting the terrorists.
The statement said it is apparent that the terrorists want to create the impression that people cannot return to their homes even when the military has successfully ejected them from these areas.
It also said that an analysis of the attack has confirmed that the use of landmines and lone wolf attacks in parts of northern Borno state is just targeted at creating unnecessary noise by the terrorists.
The group, however, urged the military and the Borno state government to immediately handle the aftermath of the attack in a manner that does not give terrorists propagandists and cyber agents the opportunity for exploitation of the incident.
"There are already ongoing efforts by terrorists’ propagandists to give dubious slants to the attack on the Governor’s convoy in order to strain relations between the Borno state chief executive and the military. This must not be allowed to happen," the statement said.
It also urged the Borno state government to hold on to its bargain of sustaining the pressure on willing terrorists to surrender to be rehabilitated and reintegrated into the society.
"Governor Zulum should lead the state’s stakeholders to get the terrorists and their commanders to surrender before it is too late for them," it said.
Further urging the people of the state to support the military and the state government, N-EPA said every displaced persons should not be discouraged by this attack since part of the intention of the terrorists is to create the impression that people cannot return to their homestead to resume a life of normalcy.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that some insurgents suspected to be members of ISWAP on Friday, September 25, attacked the convoy of Governor Zulum.
The attack occurred while the governor was on his way to conduct an assessment tour of Baga town prior to the return of IDPs who left the town due to the raid by jihadists back in 2014.
It was also gathered that 11 security personnel attached to the governor's convoy was killed during the attack.
Also, in a reaction to the attack on the governor's convoy, a group of northern elders has called for the sack of the service chiefs.
The elders under the auspice of Coalition for North East Elders for Peace and Development (CNEEPD) said the nation's security system should be reshuffled.
According to the northern elders, there might be an issue of low morale among soldiers fighting the war against insurgents in the northeast region.
Soldiers have killed 92 Boko Haram members in the past week - Major General Enenche | Legit TV