- Three local governments in Borno state have been deserted by the residents over Boko Haram attacks
- Abdulkareem Lawan, the speaker, Borno state House of Assembly, made this known on Thursday, September 3
- No fewer than 9 soldiers and some Boko Haram fighters were said to have lost their lives on Tuesday, September 1, during an attack
The speaker, Borno state House of Assembly, Abdulkareem Lawan, on Thursday, September 3, said at least three local government councils areas of the state have been deserted following the incessant insurgent attacks.
Daily Trust reports that the affected local government areas - Guzamala, Marte and Abadam, are in the northern part of the state, which suffered serious devastations owing to over 11 years of Boko Haram activities.
Legit.ng gathered that the speaker made the disclosure after reports emerged that at least nine soldiers and an unconfirmed number of Boko Haram fighters loyal to the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) lost their lives in two separate confrontations in Magumeri and Kukawa local government areas on Tuesday, September 1.
The newspaper said that the coordinator Defence media operations, Major General John Enenche, refused to comment on the development when contacted on Thursday, September 3.
According to the report, credible sources said that a serious battle ensued on Tuesday, September 1, when Nigerian troops confronted dozens of ISWAP fighters who wanted to take over a military base in Magumeri town in the northern part of Borno state.
Sources were quoted to have said that the fighters who had killed at least 9 soldiers were later subdued and more than 20 of them were killed following the arrival of troops from Maiduguri.
A vigilante from Magumeri, Mohammed Ali, was quoted to have said: “They (terrorists) burnt three vehicles at the military base including an armoured tank and (an earthmover) that was being used in digging trenches for protecting the area and other important places.”
A security source who pleaded anonymity said: “They burnt down five utility vehicles and one Emrad bomb-resistant vehicle, carted away the ammunition in our facility and some gun trucks.
“They also destroyed some public facilities. The whole military camp was destroyed by the ISWAP. Two APCs, two trucks and a Caterpillar excavator were destroyed. One ISWAP Hilux was destroyed but the terrorists also left with another Hilux loaded with foodstuff just supplied to the base."
Recall that while fielding questions from journalists during the weekly press briefing with journalists at the Defence Headquarters in Abuja, Gen. John Enenche said resettling the IDPs was the sole responsibility of the civil authorities.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the DHQ disclosed that troops of the Operation Whirl Stroke recorded a massive victory over terrorists in Nasarawa state.
It was reported that the DHQ disclosed that the soldiers recovered a lot of ammunition and explosives from 410 members of the Darul Salam after their hideout in the state was raided.
The DHQ added that the soldiers achieved this feat during their patrol around the Uttu area of the state on Wednesday, August 26.
Buhari should put an end to banditry, unrest in Zamfara - Nigerians cry | - on Legit TV