SERAP sues FG, NCDC over spending of coronavirus fund

SERAP sues FG, NCDC over spending of coronavirus fund

- SERAP is beginning to ask some questions related to the handling of coronavirus in Nigeria

- The human rights group has sued the NCDC, the Ministry of Health and the federal government on spending for the tackling of the disease

- The minister of health, Osagie Ehanire, is a respondent in the suit

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

The federal government and the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) have been dragged to court by the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP).

The human rights group is suing both respondents, including the health minister, Osagie Ehanire, over the spending of funds slated for tackling coronavirus in the country.

Added to this, the socio-economic body is asking the NCDC to publish the number of tests for politicians as compared with those for common Nigerians.

Retention of military chiefs is a disservice to Nigeria - Group tells Buhari

On its Twitter page, SERAP said: "We’ve filed a lawsuit asking the court to direct & compel @NigeriaGov Health Minister & NCDC to account for the spending of COVID-19 money, including donations from the private sector & to publish the number of tests for politicians as compared with tests for the poor."

SERAP sues FG, NCDC over spending of coronavirus fund

NCDC boss, Chikwe Ihekeazu and members of the PTF on COVID-19 with President Muhammadu Buhari
Source: UGC

Meanwhile, Legit.ng reported that the NCDC had spotted another error in its record of the confirmed COVID-19 cases in the country.

The federal health agency said it erroneously reported eight new cases for Zamfara state on Monday, May 18. With the error rectified, Zamfara state got a total of 76 confirmed cases of Covid-19 as of Wednesday night, May 20.

"We apologise to Zamfara for this error and reiterate our commitment to accurate and transparent reporting of data" the NCDC tweeted.

Legit.ng noted that latest data from the NCDC showed Zamfara has 76 confirmed cases, eight active cases, 63 recoveries and five deaths.

Subsidy: NLC accuses federal government of paying oil marketers N168 billion

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

In another post, Legit.ng reported that the NCDC had revealed an error in its record of the confirmed COVID-19 cases in the country.

While confirming 14 new cases on Thursday evening, April 9, taking the total confirmed cases to 288, the federal health agency noted that it erroneously reported two new cases for Bauchi state on Wednesday, April 8.

The agency said it later detected that the two cases were repeat tests from previously confirmed cases.

Сoronavirus: 6 outrageous lies about the disease | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel