- Governor Abubakar Bello has revealed that bandits escaping from Zamfara and Katsina states are moving to Niger state
- Following recent attacks in the state, Bello explained that this is as a result of security operations in other northern states
- The governor reiterated his government's commitment to protecting the lives of Niger state people
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
Niger state governor, Abubakar Sani Bello has attributed the recent banditry activities in some local government areas of the state to the ongoing security operations in Kastina and Zamfara states.
Bello who also serves as the chairman northcentral governors forum urged the people especially those in affected areas to be calm, PR Nigeria reports.
He disclosed this while briefing reporters in Minna on the outcome of security meetings held with the heads of security commands in the state.
While reiterating his determination to ensuring the safety of lives and property, Bello assured residents that the government will do whatever it takes to improve on the security situation.
The governor went on to express concern over the security situation and said certain measures have been identified to curb the challenge.
“I am deeply concerned at the turn of events and have come up with different measures to curtail it. We are taking concrete steps to make Niger State safer,” he said.
This is coming three days after Governor Bello was summoned by the Niger state House of Assembly to explain to the failure of his administration to address the incessant bandit attacks in the state.
During the summons on Tuesday, June 16, the legislators accused the government of not doing enough to halt the attacks which have become constant since November 2019.
The House alleged the government was only paying lip service to fight insecurity. Also summoned to the House was the state commissioner of police.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the presidency has assured Nigerians, again, that the nation’s armed forces are fully capable of dealing with the challenges of banditry and terrorism.
This was contained in a statement released on Tuesday, June 16 by the senior special assistant to the president on media and publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu.
The Buhari administration called for more patience, assuring Nigerians that the military is taking appropriate steps to block gaps being exploited to unleash mayhem on innocent citizens.
The statement said President Muhammadu Buhari has approved a joint military and police operation specifically targeted at combing Niger, Kaduna, Katsina, Zamfara and Sokoto states to rid the areas of bandits.
In other news, the National Security Adviser (NSA), Major General Babagana Monguno (Rtd) revealed key issues discussed between President Buhari and service chiefs.
Speaking with State House correspondents in Abuja after the crucial meeting, Monguno said that President Buhari commended the service chiefs for the efforts to curb violent crimes in the country, but added that they have to do much more.
The NSA said that the president expressed displeasure over the lack of synergy among security forces. He said that President Buhari directed him to meet with northwest governors and the Niger state government to fashion out ways to tackle the menace of banditry.
Democracy Day: Nigerians lament bitterly over governance | Legit TV