- President Muhammadu Buhari has again assured Nigerians that the military is capable of dealing with bandits
- The president's comment comes on the same day his home state of Katsina has witnessed widespread protests
- The president has come under immense pressure in the last few days as bandits laid siege in Katsina killing innocent locals
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed
The presidency has assured Nigerians, again, that the nation’s armed forces are fully capable of dealing with the challenges of banditry and terrorism.
This was contained in a statement released on Tuesday, June 16 by the senior special assistant to the president on media and publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu.
The Buhari administration called for more patience, assuring Nigerians that the military is taking appropriate steps to block gaps being exploited to unleash mayhem on innocent citizens.
The statement said President Muhammadu Buhari has approved a joint military and police operation specifically targeted at combing Niger, Kaduna, Katsina, Zamfara and Sokoto states to rid the areas of bandits.
The statement also assured Nigerians that surveillance will be improved, with more night vision aircraft already deployed in the affected areas.
“Nigeria’s military has displayed its capabilities in the past and will show it again by dealing with the current challenges,” President Buhari said.
He appealed to the people of Katsina to be patient and supportive of the ongoing military operations in the state while sympathizing with those who are bereaved, injured and lost properties.
He said taking to the streets for protest could distract the military operations, urging Katsina indigenes not to give up on the military.
The president has come under immense pressure in the last few days as bandits laid siege in his home state of Katsina killing innocent locals.
The situation prompted widespread outrage culminating in protests in the state.
Angry protesters in Katsina took the streets this week calling on the president to resign and accusing him of failing to protect them.
Videos shared on social media last week showed angry residents pulling down billboards of the president and setting up bonfires.
Despite assurances from the president, many Nigerians are of the opinion that the president has largely failed.
Comments on the Facebook page of the president's aide, suggests the president is losing support even amongst his kinsmen who have been supportive of his administration in the past.
Abdulkadir Umar Jabo wrote: That is what you have been saying for five good years. No more excuses now. We loose (sic) hope in your administration.
Ahmed Muazu wrote: Same story every day.
Muhammad Bello Dauda Maikusa wrote: We are tired. Let Buhari resign. In 2015, Buhari told Jonathan to resign.
Meanwhile, Governor Aminu Masari of Katsina says he has failed in protecting the residents of the state from bandits.
Speaking with reporters at the government house in Katsina, Masari said he is not happy because his people have never had rest since he came on board as governor.
Democracy Day: Nigerians lament bitterly over governance | Legit TV