- Presidential spokesman Garba Shehu said the Buhari administration is with the people of Kano state and will not let them down
- Shehu said this in response to the mass deaths recorded in the state in the past week
- The presidential aide said verbal autopsies are already ongoing to determine the cause of the deaths, saying everyone should be ready to result of the autopsies
The presidency says the outcome of the impending autopsies in Kano would determine the real causes of the strange deaths in the state.
Presidential spokesperson Garba Shehu made this known in a statement released on Wednesday, April 29.
Shehu said there is no need to turn the Kano situation to a political point-scoring, noting that the common purpose is to preserve the lives and health of citizens.
The senior presidential aide said President Muhammadu Buhari and his government are with the people of Kano state and will not let them down.
Recall that President Buhari had ordered a total lockdown of Kano on Monday, April 27, during his nationwide broadcast on COVID-19 updates.
The president's order followed reports of hundreds of deaths from “unknown” illnesses within the past week in the state.
Shehu said verbal autopsies are already ongoing to determine the cause of the mass deaths, saying everyone should be ready to result of the autopsies and work together to confront whatever the cause is.
“In Nigeria, there are currently verbal autopsies underway in Kano state to identify the precise cause of the sudden and rapid increase in mortality in recent days.
“While some may wish to believe that there are other causes at play here like hypertension, diabetes, meningitis, and acute malaria’, there are others who say it is COVID-19.
“We should be prepared to accept the medical and scientific result of the autopsies and work together to confront the common enemy," he said.
The presidential spokesman also noted that the lockdown imposed in Kano will help in stemming the tide of COVID-19 spread in the populous city.
He noted that Nigeria and other African countries are still at the early stage of the coronavirus pandemic.
Earlier, Legit.ng reported that the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero, confirmed the mass deaths reported in Kano state but maintained that they were not from COVID-19 as alleged in some quarters.
The monarch said in a statement released on Sunday, April 26, that he was informed by the state’s Ministry of Health that the mass deaths were not as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Emir Bayero prayed for the repose of the souls of those who lost their lives and also prayed for the quick recovery of those infected with COVID-19.
Similarly, the Kano state government on Sunday, April 26, said the recent mysterious deaths recorded in the state are not connected to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Kano state commissioner of information, Muhammad Garba, in a statement said findings by the state ministry of health has shown that most of the deaths were caused by complications arising from hypertension, diabetes, meningitis and acute malaria.
He stated that the ministry of health acting on the orders of Governor Umar Ganduje was already conducting a thorough investigation into the immediate and remote causes of the deaths.
Governor Umar Ganduje of Kano state has also finally issued a personal statement regarding the reported mass deaths in the state over the past week.
In the statement posted as a thread of tweets on his Twitter handle, @GovUmarGanduje, the Kano state government assured the residents that investigations are already ongoing to unravel the cause of the 'mysterious' deaths.
Governor Ganduje said autopsies are being carried out to determine the cause of the deaths just as he noted that from the findings so far, there has been nothing to suggest the deaths are connected to the COVID-19 pandemic.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better.
Coronavirus: 5 ways Nigeria is handling COVID-19 | Legit TV