- FG says it continues to open the borders for Nigerian returnees because "no human is stateless"
- Speaking at the Covid-19 task force briefing, interior minister, Rauf Aregbesola, said returning Nigerians have right to their fatherland
- FG made the explanation amid criticism that trailed the entry of 127 returnees from Ivory Coast of which 12 tested positive to Covid-19
The federal government has defended its reason for opening borders for Nigerian returnees despite the presidential directive that all borders should be closed amid rising tension of coronavirus in the county.
Speaking at the presidential task force briefing on Thursday, April 2, in Abuja, Minister of Interior Rauf Aregbesola said Nigerian citizens have the right to enter their fatherland "at any time” irrespective of the situation, Premium Times reports.
Legit.ng recalls that the Nigerian government was embroiled in another criticism after opening the border for 127 returnees from Cote d’Ivoire last week out of which 12 tested positive to the coronavirus pandemic.
The Nigerians were said to have returned back home following the lockdown directive of the government on Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire’s densely populated economic capital.
The government of Ivory Coast took the step amid growing index of coronavirus cases and most importantly after the country recorded its first casualty.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian government on March 18 gave the directive for the closure of the borders as part of drastic measures to curb the spread of the pandemic.
Aregbesola, while speaking with journalists at the presidential task briefing, said no human is stateless, hence the reason Nigerians will be permitted to enter their fatherland.
"We have signed into an international treaty that says no human being is stateless. We cannot deny our citizens entry into our nation. If we do that it will be embarrassing and not speak well of our nation.
"Every citizen of every nation has the right to return to his fatherland whenever he or she wishes regardless of the situation, even at war,” the interior minister submitted.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng earlier reported that the war against coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic hit a massive breakthrough as Oyo government confirmed the discharge of the index case in the state.
Taiwo Adisa, the chief press secretary to Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo, made this known in a statement on Monday, March 30.
According to Adisa, the index case was discharged after the completion of his treatment at the Agbami Chest Hospital Isolation Centre in Ibadan.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Market Survey: Coronavirus cannot kill everyone in Nigeria | Legit TV