- Nigeria's minister of communications has made a passionate plea to telecommunications companies
- Dr. Isa Pantami urged telecoms service providers to further reduce the prices of data and call rates as the country fights COVID-19
- This is coming after many Nigerians took to Twitter to ask telecoms service providers to give out freebies
The minister of communications, Dr. Isa Pantami, has urged telecommunications service providers in Nigeria to further reduce the prices of data and call rates being offered subscribers in this critical time.
This information was disclosed in a tweet shared by Bashir Ahmad, the personal assistant on new media to President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday, March 30.
Legit.ng gathered that the appeal was made by the minister as the country continues to combat the global pandemic called coronavirus.
Pantami who also made the passionate appeal on his Twitter handle said he is urging the companies as the person in charge of policy of the telecom sector.
Since many Nigerians have been restricted to their homes following the lockdown to curb the spread of coronavirus, a good number of people took to Twitter with #freedata to urge telecom companies to provide free packages.
According to most people, this would go a long way as they struggle to cope with staying indoors as a result of the outbreak of the virus.
Legit.ng previously reported that the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) reported that there are 20 new cases of coronavirus in Nigeria.
The NCDC via its official Twitter account on Monday, March 23, revealed that the new cases are 13 in Lagos, 4 in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), 2 in Kaduna and 1 in Oyo state.
The tweet read: “Twenty new cases of #COVID19 have been reported in Nigeria; 13 in Lagos, 4 in FCT, 2 in Kaduna and 1 in Oyo state “As at 09:00 pm 30th March, there are 131 confirmed cases of #COVID19 reported in Nigeria with 2 deaths.”
PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update
In a related development, the Nigerian government has announced another casualty from Coronavirus (COVID -19), officially bringing the number of the death toll to two.
The minister of health, Osagie Ohanire, made this known during the presidential task force briefing on Monday, March 31, in Abuja.
According to Channels TV, the minister said that three people have been discharged after fully recovering from the pandemic. He, however, revealed that another casualty was recorded after the patient was severely hit by the virus.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Coronavirus: 5 ways Nigeria is handling COVID-19 | - on Legit TV