- Muslim Rights Concern tasked President Buhari to work harder to ensure the remaining girls in Boko Haram’s den regain freedom
- MURIC's director, Ishaq Akintola, said the abduction was a huge blow to Nigeria’s security apparatus
- Akintola also urged Nigerians to intensify prayers for both the Chibok girls and Leah Sharibu, the lone Christian girl who was denied freedom by the insurgents in Dapchi
Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC), an Islamic group, has appealed to the federal government to intensify efforts in making sure the 112 Chibok girls still in Boko Haram’s den regain freedom.
Professor Ishaq Akintola, the director of MURIC made the appeal in a statement issued in Lagos on Friday, October 11.
Akintola described the abduction as a huge blow to the country’s security apparatus, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
He said MURIC was sad that the remaining girls were still with the insurgents five and a half years after, urging the government to do all it could to rescue them.
“We strongly appeal to President Muhammadu Buhari to double government’s efforts aimed at securing the freedom of the Chibok girls.
“It is now five and a half years since these girls were taken away. We are in grief. Our nights are nightmarish.
“Horrible fears envelope our days. Please bring back our girls,” he said.
The MURIC director noted that the abduction had emboldened the insurgents to carry out more criminal acts, adding that the ugly incident opened the gate for the frequent kidnappings being experienced in the country today.
He also called on Nigerians to intensify prayers for both the Chibok girls and Leah Sharibu, the lone Christian girl who was denied freedom by the insurgents in Dapchi, Yobe state.
Recall that no fewer than 276 girls were abducted in 2014 from Government Secondary School Chibok in Borno by the terrorists.
However, about 107 of the abducted girls have either been found or released as part of a deal between the government and armed group, leaving 112 girls still with the insurgents.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that President Buhari said Nigeria had recorded tremendous progress in degrading Boko Haram insurgents.
The president made the claim at the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) base in Kaduna while inaugurating 111 cadets as pilot officers.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Nigerian Air Force operations against Boko Haram - on Legit TV: