- Xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa may soon come to an end
- The two countries have signed a deal to stop the attacks
- According to Geoffrey Onyeama, the agreement is an endorsement of the establishment of early warning mechanism
The federal government of Nigeria and its South Africa counterpart have signed agreement to prevent further attacks on Nigerians and other African nationals in the country.
Legit.ng reports that the deal was signed on Friday, October 4, by Nigeria's minister of foreign affairs, Goeffery Onyeama, and Lindiwe Sisulu, the South Africa's minister of international relations and cooperation.
The agreement was sealed in the presence of President Muhammadu Buhari and President Cyril Ramaphosa, in Pretoria.
Onyeama, in a tweet, said that the deal is an endorsement of the establishment of an early warning mechanism to prevent and monitor platform against the re-occurrence of attacks against foreign nationals.
He said: "On behalf of the federal government of Nigeria, I signed the agreements of the 9th session of the Nigeria/South Africa bi-national commission. A major feature is the endorsement of the establishment of an early warning mechanism as a preventative and monitoring platform against the re-occurrence of attacks against foreign nationals."
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that Buhari met Nigerians living in South Africa over incessant xenophobic attacks on them and their property.
The president described the attacks as an embarrassment, adding that it was uncalled for.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng Same great work of journalism and upgraded for better service!
Xenophobia: High Commissioner for South African speaks on recent attacks - on Legit TV