The US is an economically stable country, so it seems that it will not be difficult to find a job there. Unfortunately, this opinion is mistaken. Most Nigerians who go to America on a tourist or even a study visa cannot find a workplace. If you want to know how to get a job in the USA from Nigeria, you need to study this post attentively.
Work and travel in the US: remember these useful tips
- If you want to find a job, it is worth paying attention to small towns. They are distinguished from megacities of the country by low prices and a well-disposed population.
- Tourists need to find their compatriots. They will help them to get comfortable, and give helpful advice.
- You need to learn how to understand American employers correctly. They will never say NO, but they will try to convey this through a casual and even friendly conversation. Therefore, try to analyze all the questions that they ask you. If they are not significant, then you need to continue to search for work.
- Urban US sites allow you to post your resume, which is recommended to do. Indicate all your skills and abilities, and also leave contact information. It will be much easier to find a job after retraining. The study will help in this case. It can be done in almost every specialized educational center in the country.
- Regularly it is required to look through new posts about the search for employees, do not be lazy to send CVs to different companies.
How can I get a job in America from Nigeria
If you want to get a job in the US from Nigeria, you need to compose a competent CV. It is required to describe your own life, the place of education, the availability of certain skills briefly. It is recommended to write in detail the former place of work. A prerequisite is an attached photo. The chances will grow significantly if you prepare a motivation letter. Search for companies and organizations can be carried out on websites or forums. If a company needs an employee and it liked your resume, then:
- The company will invite a candidate for an interview if he or she is already in America.
- If he or she is not in America, a company will contact a foreigner via the Internet, ask some questions, and then send out an invitation to obtain a work visa. The main documents will be signed during a personal meeting, and all the details of the work will be specified.
If you cannot find the workplace yourself, you can contact the specialized employment agency for help. After a survey and a small conversation with a representative of the company, the tourist will be given a list of enterprises and companies to which a resume can be sent. By the way, all issues related to the execution of documents are taken on by the intermediary.
The right to work in the United States is provided if a person falls into one of the following categories:
- Temporary employees. These are foreign citizens who apply to the US Consulate for entry into the country to work and obtaining a work visa. A specific employer is chosen often. Temporary workers can reside in the United States for a fixed period of time. They are only allowed to carry out activities for which a permit was issued.
- Permanent employees. This category of citizens refers to individuals who have the right to permanent residence in the United States. They would get any work, without requiring special permits.
- The right to work in the US is available to students who have a visa. However, they will need to obtain the appropriate work permit from an authorized person at their university, school or college. It will be issued if the study is not pushed to the background because of the work activity. In America, many students combine these activities.
- The right to get a job is owned by the bride or fiance of an American who has a K1 visa. It is enough to get a social card for this, which will operate for 90 days. At the end of this period, the couple must enter into a legal marriage, and a foreign citizen must apply for a Green Card.
It is prohibited to work for citizens who arrived in the country illegally or on a guest visa.
Work as a programmer in the USA
The US is very popular with IT professionals due to the demand for the profession and a large number of leading companies, whose businesses are dependent on information technology: Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Apple, etc. Of course, getting into such a corporation is very difficult, and this is due to the huge competition and high demands put forward for applicants. But the level of salaries are:
- Developers at Apple receive an average of 120 thousand dollars a year.
- Intel employees receive about $100 thousand.
- Google programmers receive a maximum of $126 thousand.
The programmers working in smaller and well-known companies have slightly lower salary:
- An experienced Java/J2EE developer in California earns 40-70 dollars per hour.
- Senior IOS Developer's rate in a major city, for example, San Francisco, reaches $90 per hour.
- PHP-developer with experience of 7 years and knowledge of common frameworks and technologies can count on 100 thousand dollars a year.
Of course, to work as the programmer, it is necessary to have good English, to have the required level of essential skills and experience. It is better to search for an IT specialist through the Internet and to come at the employer's invitation, having previously agreed with to a work visa.
Work as a doctor in the US
Doctors in America earn very money. The most popular in the US are anesthetists, surgeons, therapists, dentists, gynecologists, and psychiatrists. The level of salaries of these specialists averages 170-200 thousand dollars a year.
However, graduates of Nigerian medical universities will not be able to get a job in the USA. For employment, it is necessary to have a license and to obtain it, you need to confirm the level of knowledge by passing several tests and a practical examination.
The first step is to ensure that the completed medical university is on the list of educational institutions whose diplomas can be confirmed in the United States.
READ ALSO: Apply for US visa in Nigeria
Work as a babysitter in the USA
In America, a month of work as a babysitter can get from 1500 dollars. Payment is by the hour. Additional pocket money is given for the expenses for the child. As a rule, Nigerian nannies are in demand in every family. The advantage of this work is that the family often provides a nanny with accommodation and meals - this is very important for a labor immigrant visiting the country for the first time.
The duties of a nanny include:
- classes, walks, games with children;
- nutrition and caring for children;
- cooking and cleaning the house.
As you can see, nannies in America can perform some duties of domestic workers, but it is always negotiated with the employer. You need to love children, the ability to manage the economy, work experience and good knowledge of the language. A great advantage will be the availability of special education, for example, pedagogical. You can get this job in the US through a recruiting agency or websites where vacancies are placed for foreign citizens.
Work in the USA without knowledge of the language
Of course, most vacancies require the highest level of English proficiency. In some cases, the employer requires a certificate such as TOEFL or IELTS, indicating a general level of language proficiency. For certain professions, there are also their exams for example, for lawyers it is ILEC, and for those working in the field of accounting and finance - ICFE. They check the knowledge of specialized professional terminology. Participation in all these exams, as a rule, is paid, and certificates for their passage have a limited period of validity.
Nigerians who speak only their native language can be placed in positions such as:
- Cleaner. In the United States, there are a lot of cleaning agencies, which continuously recruit employees. It is not the easiest work, because you will have to work physically, including with household chemicals. Payment by the hour is from 10 to 20 dollars. Also, it is possible to receive tips. It is the easiest way to get a job on the Internet. Adjacent specialty is the maid at the hotel.
- Dishwasher. The work can be found in a restaurant or cafe. The fee is in the range of 7-12 dollars per hour. This is one of the most popular works of labor immigrants.
- Courier. You can get a job at this position without even having a car. You should know only a few English phrases such as greetings, answers to simple questions, etc. A demanded and uncomplicated one can be called the work of a food delivery man.
- An agricultural worker. This work, as a rule, is seasonal: basically, harvesters of berries and fruit. The rate is not high - about 7-15 dollars per hour. English will be needed only to apply employment.
Even at such seemingly unskilled jobs in the US, you can earn from $ 1500-2000 per month, which is quite enough for a modest but quite comfortable living in, for example, Arizona or Minnesota. For this amount, you can rent an apartment for two people, eat, dress and allow yourself entertainment.
The United States of America is a prosperous and economically stable country. Therefore it is not surprising that many Nigerians would like to go there for permanent residence or to earn money. However, this is far from easy: on the way, there is a language barrier, the need for a visa and diploma confirmation, and, of course, the search for a suitable employer.
Nevertheless, you can get a job in America from Nigeria if you have an employer in the US who is ready to help you with your paper work for visa application.
In this article, we told you how you can find employment in the US, as well as a list of professions that are in demand in this country. Good luck!
READ ALSO: Apply for jobs in Canada from Nigeria