Getting a career abroad, especially in the United States, can benefit one's professional development. Have a look at the various ways on how to get a job in USA from Nigeria.
Nigerians today are looking for employment positions in foreign countries like India, United States, China, Middle East, and Eastern Europe..
How to get a job in USA from Nigeria
Learning new things, developing new skills, and recording employment are attainable when one has a career in his life.
Someone that works or has a career can contribute positively to an environment that will bring forth development and the growth of a country's economy because a productive citizen makes a stronger community through his contribution.
To be able to get a career in the United States from Nigeria, the following are some of the basic requirements you need to consider.
- The level of your experience in your line of the field or area
- A valid visa document and a passport
- A well constructed resume
- The level of your educational attainment
- Language proficiency
Useful tips to remember
When applying for a job, these useful tips are always essential to note.
- Getting a job in a foreign country is always not an easy task hence it is always important to pay attention to small town that have less competition.
- As a tourist you need to find a compatriot who will help you get comfortable and advice you on the necessary things to do.
- Another essential tip to note is the need to understand the American employers correctly. Always try to analyze all the questions you are asked and how to respond to them.
- Urban US sites allow you to post your resume, which is recommended to do. Indicate all your skills and abilities, and also leave contact information. It will be much easier to find a job after retraining. It can be done in almost every specialized educational center in the country.
- Regularly it is required to look through new posts about the search for employees, do not be lazy to send CVs to different companies.
How can I get a job in America from Nigeria?
If you want to get a job in the US from Nigeria, you need to compose a competent CV. It is required to describe your own life, the place of education, the availability of certain skills briefly.
It is recommended to write in details of the former place you worked. A prerequisite is an attached photo.
Search for companies and organizations can be carried out on websites or forums. If a company needs an employee and it liked your resume, then:
- The company will invite a candidate for an interview if he or she is already in America.
- If he or she is not in America, a company will contact a foreigner via the Internet, ask some questions, and then send out an invitation to obtain a work visa.
- The main documents will be signed during a personal meeting, and all the details of the work will be specified.
If you cannot find the workplace yourself, you can contact the specialized employment agency for help.
After a survey and a small conversation with a representative of the company, the tourist will be given a list of enterprises and companies to which a resume can be sent.
By the way, all issues related to the execution of documents are taken on by the intermediary.
If an individual falls into one of the following categories, they are granted the right to work in the United States.
- Temporary employees: These are employees who are not employed on a permanent background. They are foreign citizens who apply to the US consulate to enter the country to work and obtain a work visa. Temporary employees are allowed to stay in the United States for a set period of time. They can only engage in activities for which a permit has been given.
- Permanent employees: Individuals who have the right to permanent residency in the United States fall into this group of residents. They'd be able to get any job they wanted without needing any special permits.
- Students with a visa are allowed to work in the United States. They will, however, need to obtain a work permit from an approved individual at their university, school, or college. It will be released if the analysis is not moved to the side due to work obligations. Many students in America combine these activities.
- The bride or fiancé of an American with a K1 visa has the freedom to work in the United States. It is sufficient to obtain a social card, which will be valid for 90 days. The pair must marry legally at the end of this time span, and a foreign citizen must apply for a green card.
People who arrived in the country illegally or on a guest visa are not allowed to work.
Professional jobs in USA for foreigners
Of course, most vacancies require the highest level of English proficiency. In some cases, the employer requires a certificate such as TOEFL or IELTS, indicating a general language proficiency level.
There are also exams for certain professions for lawyers, ILEC, and those working in accounting and finance - ICFE.
They check the knowledge of specialized professional terminology.
Participation in all these exams is a rule, and a certificate for passage has a limited period of validity.
Have a look at some professional jobs for anyone thinking of moving from Nigeria to USA.
Work as a programmer in the USA
The US is very popular with IT professionals due to the profession's demand and many leading companies whose businesses are dependent on information technology: Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Apple, etc.
Of course, getting into such a corporation is very difficult, and this is due to the huge competition and high demands put forward for applicants. The level of salaries are:
- Developers at Apple receive an average of $120 thousand a year.
- Intel employees receive about $100 thousand.
- Google programmers receive a maximum of $126 thousand.
The programmers working in smaller and well-known companies have slightly lower salary:
- An experienced Java/J2EE developer in California earns $40-70 per hour.
- Senior IOS Developer's rate in a major city like San Francisco reaches $90 per hour.
- PHP-developer with experience of 7 years and knowledge of common frameworks and technologies can count on $100 thousand a year.
Of course, to work as a programmer, it is necessary to have good English, to have the required level of essential skills and experience.
It is better to search for an IT specialist through the Internet and come at the employer's invitation, having previously agreed to a work visa.
Work as a doctor in the US
Doctors in America earn huge money. The most famous doctors in the US are anesthetists, surgeons, therapists, dentists, gynecologists, and psychiatrists.
The level of salaries of these specialists averages 170-200 thousand dollars a year. However, graduates of Nigerian medical universities will not be able to get a job in the USA.
For employment, it is necessary to have a license, and to obtain it; you need to confirm the level of knowledge by passing several tests and a practical examination.
The first step is to ensure that the completed medical university is on the list of educational institutions whose diplomas can be confirmed in the United States.
Work as a babysitter in the USA
In America, a month of work as a babysitter can get from 1500 dollars. Payment is made on an hourly basis. Additional pocket money is given for the expenses for the child.
As a rule, Nigerian nannies are in demand in every family. The advantage of this work is that the family often provides a nanny with accommodation and meals - this is very important for a labor immigrant visiting the country for the first time.
The duties of a nanny include:
- Classes, walks, games with children
- Nutrition and caring for children
- Cooking and cleaning the house
As you can see, nannies in America can perform some domestic workers' duties, but it is always negotiated with the employer.
You need to love children, manage the economy, work experience, and good knowledge of the language.
A great advantage will be the availability of special education, for example, pedagogical. You can get this job in the US through a recruiting agency or websites where vacancies are placed for foreign citizens.
Jobs for Native speakers
Nigerians who speak only their native language can be placed in positions such as:
- Cleaner: In the United States, there are a lot of cleaning agencies, which continuously recruit employees. It is not the easiest work because you will have to work physically while using household chemicals. Payment per hour is from 10 to 20 dollars. Also, it is possible to receive tips. It is the easiest way to get a job on the Internet. Adjacent specialty is the maid at the hotel.
- Dishwasher: The work can be found in a restaurant or café. The fee is in the range of 7-12 dollars per hour. This is one of the most popular works of labor immigrants.
- Courier: You can get a job at this position without even having a car. You should know only a few English phrases such as greetings, answers to simple questions, etc. A demanded and uncomplicated one can be called the work of a food delivery man.
- An agricultural worker: This job, as a rule, is seasonal: basically, harvesters of berries and fruit. The rate is not high - about 7-15 dollars per hour. English will be needed only to apply for employment.
Even at such seemingly unskilled jobs in the US, you can earn from $ 1500-2000 per month, which is quite enough for a modest but quite comfortable living in, for example, Arizona or Minnesota.
For this amount, you can rent an apartment for two people, eat, dress and allow yourself entertainment.
The United States of America is a prosperous and economically stable country. Therefore it is not surprising that many Nigerians would like to go there for permanent residence or earn money.
However, this is far from being easy. There are disadvantages such as the language barrier, need for a visa and diploma confirmation, and, of course, the search for a suitable employer.
Nevertheless, you can work in USA from Nigeria if you have an employer in the US who is ready to help you with your visa application paperwork.
Now you know how to get a job in USA from Nigeria. Getting a job in the USA may be one of the best decisions for anyone willing to work in foreign countries. You may also consider some of the international jobs in Abuja.
Legit.ng recently posted a simple tutorial on how to share data on Airtel. If you are looking for a guide on how to share data on Airtel, find out how to use the Me2U service from Airtel that allows its subscribers to send data from one Airtel line to another regardless of where they are.
Me2U, also known as Airtel Data Share, is a special service that allows an Airtel subscriber to show love to another Airtel subscriber by transferring a portion of their existing data allowance to the other person.
Source: Legit Nigeria