If you are a graduate in of Education, but you still want to continue your studies and learn more, then why not check out UNIPORT postgraduate courses in Education? We will tell you about all the available options at the University of Port Harcourt, including the requirements for each programme.
Postgraduate courses in UNIPORT
You might be surprised, but there are quite a lot of UNIPORT courses for postgraduate students, including courses for those interested in continuing their academic journey in the field of Education. We want to offer you the list of programmes you can choose from and give you some information about their requirements.
The Faculty of Education at the University of Port Harcourt offers Master’s programmes, PhDs and Sandwich (or Long Vacation) programmes. If you want to apply for a Master’s programme, you will need to have at least 3.0 CGPA (5-point scale).
If you want to apply for a PhD programme, you will need to have at least 4.0 CGPA (5-point scale) and defend your written proposal during the pre-admission oral interview. These requirements apply to all programmes on top of specific requirements of each programme.
Now let’s get to the programmes themselves:
- Department of Curriculum Studies & Educational Technology offers programmes in the areas of Educational Technology, Curriculum & Instruction, Language Education, Science Education, Mathematics Education and Social Studies Education.
- Department of Educational Foundations offers programmes in the areas of History & Policy of Education, Comparative Education, Philosophy of Education and Sociology of Education.
- Department of Educational Management offers programmes in the areas of Educational Planning, Educational Administration, Administration of Higher Education and Economics of Education.
- Department of Educational Psychology, Guidance & Counselling offers programmes in the areas of Guidance & Counselling, Educational Psychology and Educational Measurement & Evaluation.
All of these programmes are available as Master’s programmes, PhDs, as well as Sandwich M. Ed. programmes.
Other UNIPORT postgraduate courses
However, those were not all programmes you could choose from. There are a few more we want to tell you about.
For instance, Department of Adult & Non-Formal Education offers programmes in the areas of Distance Education, Literacy Education, Community Development and Environmental Adult Education. While the requirements for PhD students are the same as in the programmes mentioned above, Master’s students have slightly different requirements. If you want to enrol, you can either:
- Be a graduate of UNIPORT or other approved university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Adult Education with 3.00 CGPA or higher (5-point scale)/its equivalent.
- Have at least Second Class Honours Degree or higher other than Adult Education and have 3.5 CGPA or higher in your Postgraduate Diploma in Education.
Department of Human Kinetics & Health Education offers a whole plethora of courses, but each degree has its own requirements, so let’s go down the list.
READ ALSO: Federal universities in Nigeria and their cut off marks in 2018
You can earn a degree of Master of Science Education (M. Sc. Ed.) in Human Kinetics in several areas of specialisation, including Sports Administration & Marketing, Physiology of Exercise, Sociology of Sport, Sport Psychology and Rehabilitation Therapy.
In order to enrol, you need to have either:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Human Kinetics / Human Kinetics & Health Education. It should be at least a Second Class Honours Degree with a minimal 3.00 CGPA (5-point scale) from a recognised university.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Science / Science Education with a Nigerian Certificate of Education in Human Kinetics / Human Kinetics & Health Education.
- An upper credit in Postgraduate Diploma in Education.
You can earn a degree of M. Sc. Ed. in Health Education in several areas of specialisation, including Environmental Health & Safety Education, Occupational Health & Safety Education and Community Health Education.
In order to enrol, you need to have either:
- A Second Class Honours Degree or higher with a minimal 3.00 CGPA (5-point scale) from a recognised university in the sphere of Human Kinetics / Human Kinetics & Health Education.
- An Advanced Graduate Diploma in Health Education, Dentistry, Phаrmacy or other disciplines related to Health Education or a Degree in Medicine / other appropriate Medical Sciences.
- A Second Class Honours Degree or higher with a minimal 3.00 CGPA (5-point scale) from a recognised university in the related discipline in addition to a Nigerian Certificate of Education in Human Kinetics / Human Kinetics & Health Education.
You can also earn a PhD in several areas of specialisation, including Sports Management, Sports Marketing, Psychology & Sociology of Sports, Community Health Education, Occupational Health & Safety Education and Environmental Health & Safety Education.
In order to enrol, you need to have either a M. Ed. in Human Kinetics & Education or another relevant subject, in addition to the faculty requirements we have mentioned at the beginning.
Last, but not least, Institute of Education at UNIPORT offers a Postgraduate Diploma in Education (both regular and sandwich), which consists of four areas, including Supervised Practice in Teaching, Specialised Procedure in the Teaching of Subjects, Studies in the Theory & Practice of Education and the Supervised Project.
In order to enrol, you will need to have either:
- A degree from a recognised university (, Master’s ).
- A Higher National Diploma from a recognised Polytechnic.
These are all the postgraduate programmes at the University of Port Harcourt. If you want to find out about other available programmes from other faculties, you can click here. Do you have any questions about the programmes or requirements? If so, let us know in the comments. And good luck in your academic journey!
READ ALSO: Universities offering psychology in Nigeria