- The Nigerian Army is making progress in its fight against insurgency
- Its superior fire power has weakened some Boko Haram members
- Many of them have now given up on their campaign of terror
No fewer than 70 Boko Haram insurgents on Wednesday, July 5 surrendered to the Nigerian Army in Maiduguri.
Major General Ibrahim Attahiru, the Theatre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, made the disclosure while presenting the repentant insurgents to journalists in Maiduguri.
Attahiru said the insurgents surrendered voluntarily sequel to various strategies evolved by the federal government to end insurgency in the north-east.
“Fifty seven out of the 70 surrendered Boko Haram insurgents had been profiled. About 700 or more insurgents have also indicated their intention to surrender,” he said.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Attahiru added that the federal government had initiated a “Safe Corridor Operation” to encourage the insurgents to surrender and facilitate their integration into responsible members of the society.
The commander said that the suspects were undergoing “level of interrogation’’ as part of the de-radicalisation process to integrate them into the society.
Also speaking, one of the insurgents called on Boko Haram fighters to surrender.
The insurgent, who pleaded anonymity, dismissed the group’s activities as unIslamic.
“I am calling on other Boko Haram insurgents to lay down their arms, embrace peace and join the society.
“Some of them are apprehensive of what might happen to them after they surrender.
“We thank the Army, they gave clothes, and took care of us. No harassment or maltreatment meted out to us after we surrendered,” the former insurgent said. (NAN)
Meanwhile, Governor Kashim Shettima of Borno state on Sunday, June 25 appealed to the Nigerian military to intensify efforts to end the Boko Haram insurgency that had ravaged the North East for long.
Shettima made the appeal while speaking at this year’s Eid el Fitr reception for members of the State Executive Council and other dignitaries at the Government House Maiduguri.
He said although the military had recorded tremendous successes against the insurgents, the recent spate of attacks in different parts of the state was worrisome.
READ ALSO: Middle belt dissociates from north, sends message to government
Watch a video report of the recently released Chibok girls by Boko Haram on Legit.ng TV below: