Spanish Priest Burnt To Death From Fire During Easter Ceremony

Spanish Priest Burnt To Death From Fire During Easter Ceremony

  • The Catholic church has lost one of its priests, Father Javier Sánchez to a fire incident in Zaragoza, Spain
  • The 60-year-old Sánchez died after his robe caught fire during the Easter ceremony on Saturday, March 30
  • He passed on at Miguel Servet Hospital, where he was rushed to for treatment on early Friday morning, April 5 journalist Adekunle Dada has over 5 years of experience covering metro and government policy

Zaragoza, Spain - Catholic priest, Father Javier Sánchez of the Archdiocese of Zaragoza in Spain has passed on from burns he suffered after his robe caught fire from a candle during the Easter Vigil on Saturday, March 30.

The 60-year-old Sánchez died early Friday morning, April 5 after spending after six days in the hospital.

Read also

Tragedy strikes in Kogi as top govt official collapses, dies

Spanish priest dies from burns suffered during lighting of Easter fire
Spanish priest died in the hospital on Friday, April 5 Photo credit: @MarioNawfal
Source: Twitter

As reported by Catholic News Agency, sources from the archdiocese said the priest was trying to protect the nuns when the tragic incident happened.

PAY ATTENTION: Share your outstanding story with our editors! Please reach us through!

The priest was rushed to Miguel Servet Hospital, where he died after being treated for serious burns.

The clergyman, parish priest at St. Gregory Church was blessing the Easter fire as part of the Easter Vigil.

According to the Spanish newspaper, El Heraldo de Aragón, diocesan sources said Father Sánchez vestments caught fire, burning 50% of his body.

“The priest tried to protect the nuns of the convent when embers lit up in the basin that was used [for the fire] and that ultimately caused his death. Apparently, a flammable substance had been used to start the fire. [The Easter Vigil] was held inside the convent,”

Read also

Breaking: Tragedy as policeman dies on Kaduna-Abuja train

Fire burns 80-year-old woman to death

Meanwhile, reported that tragedy struck on Sunday, January 21 as fire incidents burnt an 80-year-old woman to death in Tse-Agubor Gyaruwa of Tsambee-Mbesev Council Ward in Gwer West local government area of Benue state.

The fire incident, which started at about 10 am razed 50 houses. The head of the village, Chief Ayatse Agubor, said his 80-year-old mother could not get anyone to help her out of the sickbed because people were already on their various farms.

The village head explained that the fire incident was a result of unauthorised bush burning. He warned youths of the community to desist from the act or face the wrath of the law. houses-Benue/


Online view pixel