- Police officers from different units quickly responded to a security breach at Windsor Castle on Christmas Day
- They arrested an armed young man on the castle grounds, saying he had not accessed any building
- The Queen and her family were at the residence during the time of the incident and were informed about the breach
An armed intruder has been arrested at Windsor Castle, where Queen Elizabeth II and some of her family were spending Christmas, CNN reports.
In another report by Daily Mail, a 19-year-old was arrested on the castle grounds armed with a weapon.
A statement from the police stated that the man was arrested after several place units responded to the security breach.
Do you have a groundbreaking story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through email@example.com!
Authorities said that the man, from Southampton, did not access any buildings. Police Superintendent Rebecca Mears said;
"The man has been arrested on suspicion of breach or trespass of a protected site and possession of an offensive weapon. He remains in custody at this time.
Members of the Royal Family have been informed about the incident,"
The police did not release details on how and why the man entered the property and an investigation into the incident is ongoing.
Intruders scale Windsor Castle walls
Back in April, it was reported that two people broke into the castle, just a week after Prince Philip's burial.
A 31-year-old man and a 29-year-old woman were able to scale the fences at the Royal Lodge, where the Queen likes to walk her dogs and also ride her horses.
But luckily she was not around at the time. However, her son Prince Andrew, who lives in the said area, is believed to have been home at the time.
18-year-old Oyinbo lady marries 20-year-old man after two weeks of dating, her parents weren't aware
The intruders were arrested and released on bail pending further inquiries. This was the second incident just days after a 44-year-old Spanish woman was mistakenly let in after she insisted on being Prince Andrew's fiancée and were set to have lunch.
She spent about 20 minutes in the estate before being discovered to have breached security and arrested on suspicions of burglary.
The two security lapses have raised questions about whether the queen was better off staying at Buckingham Palace.
Buckingham Palace spokesperson confirms Queen Elizabeth was hospitalised after Cancelling trip
Legit.ng previously reported that Buckingham Palace spokesperson confirmed that Queen Elizabeth II was hospitalised for preliminary investigations after cancelling a planned trip to Northern Ireland.
The spokesperson also confirmed that the 95-year-old monarch was returned to Windsor Castle on Thursday where she's getting rest as advised by her doctors.
Read part of the spokesperson's statement:
"Following medical advice to rest for a few days, The Queen attended hospital on Wednesday afternoon for some preliminary investigations, returning to Windsor Castle at lunchtime today, and remains in good spirits," read part of the spokesperson's statement."