Kwankwaso Condemns Demolition of Northerners Market in Lagos
- Former Kano governor Rabi’u Musa Kwankwaso and the Arewa Consultative Forum have condemned the demolition of the Alaba Rago Market in Lagos
- Traders said they lost goods and property worth billions as officials pulled down the 45-year-old market for the second time in recent months
- Both Kwankwaso and the ACF called for urgent intervention to support affected families and safeguard their livelihoods
The demolition of the Alaba Rago Market in Lagos has continued to generate strong reactions, with former Kano State governor, Rabi’u Musa Kwankwaso, and the Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) condemning the exercise.
The market, which had served for over four decades as a major trading hub for food items, livestock, and scrap materials, was pulled down last week by officials of the Lagos State Government.

Source: Facebook
Traders affected by the operation claimed that goods and property worth billions of naira were destroyed in the process.

Read also
Primate Ayodele sends fresh message to top Tinubu's appointee amid plot to remove oil chief
This is the second time in recent months that the market has faced demolition.
In May 2024, officials of the Lagos state Taskforce had carried out a similar operation, justifying it as a move to clear shanties and illegal structures.
NNPP leader visits victims of Lagos market demolition
NNPP leader Kwankwaso visited the site to interact with traders and assess the situation. He told reporters that his intervention was aimed at ensuring that solutions were found to safeguard the interests of Northern traders who operate in Lagos.
“I am here to ensure that a solution is found which will protect the interests of the people of Northern Lagos. The traders’ welfare is a priority, and we must work together to restore their businesses safely and efficiently,” Kwankwaso stated.
Arewa group decries markets demolition
The ACF, in its reaction, described the demolition as a major setback for thousands of families. Its National Publicity Secretary, Professor T. A. Muhammad-Baba, explained that although no lives were lost, the destruction of businesses and property has left many in deep distress.

Source: Facebook
“Expectedly, the demolition of the historic market has resulted in losses of businesses and property, with disruption to the means of livelihoods and other woes for thousands of people,” he said.
The forum extended its sympathy to the victims and urged them to remain resilient despite the setback. It appealed to both the Lagos State and Federal Governments to intervene by providing immediate relief and long-term support for affected traders.
“Hopefully, the usual famed stoic resilience of our industrious people will come to play in helping those affected to cope with losses arising from the demolition,” Muhammad-Baba added.
The ACF further noted the historic role of Alaba Rago Market as a hub for livestock trade in Lagos and expressed optimism that the community of traders would eventually recover and rebuild.
Why Kwankwaso cannot work with APC - Galadima
Earlier, Legit.ng reported Buba Galadima, a prominent member of the New Nigerian Peoples Party (NNPP), had dismissed the possibility of former presidential candidate Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso working with the All Progressives Congress (APC), citing the ongoing tussle over the Kano Emirate.
Speaking on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Monday, Galadima faulted the federal government for what he described as a deliberate attempt to create parallel leadership within the traditional institution.
Source: Legit.ng