On Friday, November 12, the federal government announced the launch of a portal for the sale of completed houses under the National Housing Programme (NHP).
At the launch in Abuja, Babatunde Fashola, the minister of works and housing, said the portal is accessible in 34 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
According to the minister, the portal was introduced to ensure that Nigerians who desire to own homes, irrespective of social stratification, have equal opportunity to apply.
At the moment, about 5,000 housing units are ready for purchase in phases one and two in 34 states and the FCT.
The phase three is under construction in Rivers and Lagos states. The houses are in one-bedroom, two-bedroom, three-bedroom and duplex categories, and the cost ranges between N9 million and N16 million, depending on what a person wants and what his pocket can afford.
Do you have a groundbreaking story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through email@example.com!
This explainer walks you through the process of applying for houses on the portal.
Eligibility: Four crucial requirements before applying
According to the information available on the NHP's website, you must satisfy the following conditions to apply:
- Be an adult above 18 years
- Have a verifiable means of income or employment
- Be a contributor to National Housing Fund
- Comply with the terms and conditions of sale including completing online application
Documents required to apply
- Passport photograph: A digital copy of your most recent passport photograph in .JPEG or .PNG format.
- Current Tax Clearance/Pay Slip: The most recent copy of your tax clearance / Pay Slip certificate is required in .PDF format only.
- Means of Identification (National I.D, Drivers licences, International passport ): A digital copy of your means of identification in .JPEG or .PNG format
- Letter of recommendation from any Primary Morgage Bank (for Mortgage Subscribers)
- Evidence of 10% initial deposit. (for Mortgage Subscribers only)
9 simple steps on how to apply
- After opening the portal, the first step is to register; this will allow you to get access to see all the available houses in different parts of the country
- Select the state where you want the property and pick any of the available apartments you want in the state. After this, you will start the application process fully
- Click on apply; this will take you to another page where you will fill your personal information, job information.
- After that, you will upload the documents mentioned above, fill the property information and the declaration page
- Application Submission: Click on submit to submit application form which you have filled
- Application Fees: After successfully submitting your online application for the property of your choice, the next step is to make payment of N10,000 (Ten thousand naira) application fee
- Processing of Application: The Federal Ministry of Works and Housing will review all the applications and only notify successful applicants and send dem payment authorization for the property they want to buy
- Payment for property: Once you receive payment authorization, you are expected to either make outright payment or liaise with one Primary Mortgage Bank (PMB) for payment for property.
- Property Allocation: The ministry will finally give the successful applicant Letter of allocation.
- The N10,000 application fee is non-refundable, whether or not your application is successful
- You will be disqualified if you submit false information
FG commences 300,000 social housing scheme
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had earlier reported Cement manufacturers have reached an agreement with the Buhari administration to charge discounted prices as the federal government commences its plan to build 300,000 houses for low-income Nigerians.
The plan is under the Econ Sustainability Plan (ESP) of the administration and it is managed by Family Homes Funds Limited (FHFL).
Vice President Yemi Osinbajo visited one of the sites on Saturday, January 2 to monitor the progress of work done so far.