2023 Admissions: List of Federal Universities in Nigeria that Accept Second Choice
A second-choice university simply refers to an alternate option for students who did not meet the admission requirements of their first-choice university.
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
So, if your preferred first-choice university does not offer you admission, you have the option of applying to another one as your backup choice.
Here is a list of federal universities that accept second-choice admissions, according to a report by Premium Times:
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Federal University of Technology Akure (FUTA)
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Federal University Oye Ekiti (FUOYE)
- University Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Federal University Ndufu-Alike Ikwo (FUNAI)
- Federal University Dutsin-Ma (FUDMA)
- Michael Okpara University of Agriculture Umudike (MOUAU)
PAY ATTENTION: Follow us on Instagram - get the most important news directly in your favourite app!
Admission requirements for Second-Choice universities
It is important to note that accepting second-choice applicants doesn’t mean a university has less stringent admission requirements.
In fact, many universities require the same admission criteria for both first and second-choice students.
Some admission requirements for second-choice universities:
- Meeting the minimum cut-off mark for your university in your UTME score
- Fulfilling O-level requirements (five credits including Mathematics and English)
- Complying with any additional departmental specifications (such as subject combinations for certain courses)
How to apply to the universities of your second choice
Applying to a second-choice university is just like applying to your first choice. These include:
- Registration for the JAMB/UTME exam and selecting your top universities
- Wait for your results and confirm if you meet all admission criteria for your top-choice university
- If not, consider applying to another institution as a backup plan.
- Follow the application guidelines provided by the university, including submitting your UTME result, O-level result and any additional requirements.
- Wait for the university to release their admission list
ASUU declares total, indefinite strike in Taraba
In another report, the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Taraba State University chapter has declared a total, comprehensive and indefinite strike action.
This was after the union received permission from the ASUU national to the state branch to embark on the strike action to make its demand known and as well tackle the state government’s rebuttal of claims that it is not owing workers salaries.
Arising from a congress meeting, the union insists that the rationale behind their action is hinged on the government's failure to pay earned academic allowances.