Students Might Be Sent Home As Fresh Strike Looms in Nigerian Universities

Students Might Be Sent Home As Fresh Strike Looms in Nigerian Universities

  • Nigerian students are likely to be sent home as universities workers are embroiled on a sharing formula squabbles
  • According to reports, the crises that threatens to lead to the looming strike is a result the just-approved N22.127 billion for payment of earned allowances
  • Academic Staff Union of Universities is to take a lion share of 75 per cent of the total sum, while the other three association take the remaining 25 percent

Academic activities in Universities and Inter-University Centres in Nigeria may once again be put on a hold, following a disagreement between various unions over the sharing formula of the just-approved N22.127 billion for payment of earned allowances for the university staff.

Information made available to journalists in Abuja stated that out of the approved amount, the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) is to take a lion share of 75 per cent of the total sum, while the other three unions will share the remaining 25 per cent among themselves.

Read also

36 speakers send crucial message to President Muhammadu Buhari over bandits

Students might be sent home as fresh strike looms
Academic activities in Universities and Inter-University Centres in Nigeria may once again be put on a hold. Photo: Femi Adesina
Source: Facebook

The three unions are the Non-academic staff union of Education and Associated Institutions, NASU, the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities, SSANU and the National Association of Academic Technologists, NAAT.

Recall that the last N40 billion Earned Allowances released by the Federal Government for the four Universities based unions where ASUU was also allocated 75 per cent of the total sum had generated a crisis in the university system.

PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

Furthermore, a reliable source told Tribune Online that two of the unions, NASU and SSANU have rejected the sharing formula and warned the federal government to reverse it immediately in order not to cause an industrial dispute in the university system.

The two unions under the umbrella of the Joint Action Committee, JAC, have given the government two weeks to redress what they described as injustice meted out to them.

Read also

NEC: States, FG to pay compensation to victims of #EndSARS protests, prosecute those indicted

The source who is privy to the development told our reporter that JAC had written to the Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige to intervene in the looming but avoidable crisis in the universities.

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel