Two children were burnt to death last night when a candle light razed their parents’ home at 12, Adebari Street, Agege, Lagos State.
The deceased kids were identified as Nosirat, 7, a primary one pupil of Starland Private School, Agege, while Basit, 5, was in nursery one of the same school.
In a statement made available to policemen attached to Elere Divisional Headquarters, Agege, the mother of the deceased children identified as Mama Nosirat, explained how the tragedy occurred.
According to her, “I am a trader selling kerosine and bread outside and after I had closed for the day I kept a 25-litre of Kerosine inside while I lit a candle and placed it on the freezer, since there was no electricity supply.
“My children and their father were sleeping and I then went to buy mosquito coil but before I returned the house was on fire. I saw my husband outside without the children and by then there was no way for me to go inside to rescue them.”
One of the landlord’s children, Ganiyu Ayoola, 38, a driver, who witnessed the incident, said: “I managed to run out with my wife and two children with only pant. These clothes I am wearing were given to me by Supol Fatoki.”
The school teacher of the deceased children, Mrs. Abdulsalam and her husband, Alhaji Hassan Abdulsalam, the Chief Imam of Atobaje Mosque spoke glowingly about the children. According to them, the children were brilliant and very hard-working. They were always clean and gentle. Their mother struggled to pay their school fees.
It was further learnt that the fire service men later came to put out the fire.