- After over 50 days in captivity, the students of the forestry college have finally regained freedom
- An unnamed source claimed that a dialogue committee set up by Sheikh Gumi and supported by ex-President Obasanjo facilitated the students' release
- There are, however, conflicting media reports regarding the number of the released students; some put it at 27, others 29
The newspaper stated that one of the persons who received the students numbering 27 confirmed the development.
He said the release was facilitated by the Sheikh Abubakar Gumi dialogue committee with support from former President Olusegun Obasanjo.
Legit.ng gathers that the students were among the 37 abducted almost two months ago.
Recall that the bandits had earlier released 10 of the victims after alleged payment of ransom by parents and the school management.
However, in its report of the latest incident, Channels TV put the number of the released students at 29.
The news media stated that Abdullahi Usman who is the chairman of the Parents’ Committee, confirmed the release of the students by the bandits on Wednesday, May 5, in Kaduna.
He explained that the victims were released some minutes past 4pm around the Kidanda area in Giwa local government area of the state, adding that they were on their way back to the state capital.
Usman, however, refused to disclose the amount paid as ransom to the bandits for the release of the students.
Legit.ng recalls that the bandits had initially demanded a N500 million ransom from the Kaduna state government.
However, Governor Nasir El-Rufai ruled out the option of negotiation, saying the bandits deserve to be killed.
In another related development, Sheik Gumi, on Tuesday, May 4 urged the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to pay the N100million ransom being demanded by the kidnappers of Greenfield University students in Kaduna state.
Gumi who has been at the forefront of championing amnesty for the terrorists said the federal government must not take the threat by the kidnappers lightly.
The Islamic cleric was reacting to the comments of a parent of one of the abductees who lamented that the kidnappers were insisting on a ransom of N100million before their wards are safely released to them.