BREAKING: Tension as Another Northern Town is under Boko Haram Attack

BREAKING: Tension as Another Northern Town is under Boko Haram Attack

- Suspected Boko Haram insurgents have reportedly invaded Mainok town in the northeastern state of Borno

- The insurgents were reported to be breaking shops and setting houses on fire

- The Borno attack is coming days after some suspected insurgents attacked Yobe, another northeastern state

PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

Boko Haram insurgents are attacking Mainok, a town about 60km from Maiduguri along Maiduguri Damaturu road, The Punch has reported.

The newspaper stated that the insurgents are setting houses ablaze and breaking shops in the town.

Mainok is the headquarters of the Kaga local government area of Borno state.

Mainok Town: Tension as Another Northern Town is under Boko Haram Attack
Nigerian Army soldiers are seen driving on a military vehicle in Ngamdu, Nigeria, on November 3, 2020. Photo credit: Audu Marte /AFP
Source: Getty Images

Legit.ng notes that this is coming after an attack on Geidam town that left many insurgents dead recently.

The insurgents had on Friday, April 23, invaded Geidam which is the hometown of the newly appointed acting Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Usman Alkali Baba.

Read also

Just In: Southeast governors, religious leaders in closed-door meeting

A resident of the town said the terrorists 'motorcade moved straight to the location of Kafela primary school as they started sporadic shooting'.

It was, however, gathered that men of the Nigerian military repelled the attack and eliminated about 21 Boko Haram terrorists.

The director of Army Public Relations, Brigadier-General Mohammed Yerima, said in a signed statement that the troops, supported by the Air Component of Operation Lafia Dole, fought back and also recovered several weapons.

The weapons recovered include Gun truck with an anti-aircraft gun, eight AK 47 rifles with ten magazines, two Rocket Propelled Grenade Bombs and five chargers, among others.

Following the attack which made some Geidam residents flee the town, the Yobe state governor, Mai Mala Buni, sought special military intervention.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news

Governor Buni gave assurance that he would work closely to support the security agencies to find a new approach to safeguard the lives and property of the citizens.

The Yobe governor in a statement signed by his media aide, Mamman Mohammed added that efforts are being intensified to curb the incessant attacks by the insurgents. He added that he had been liaising with security authorities to find a lasting solution to the resurgence of attacks on the community.

Source: Legit

Online view pixel