Tuchel Makes Interesting Super League Admission After Chelsea's Drab Draw Vs Brighton

Tuchel Makes Interesting Super League Admission After Chelsea's Drab Draw Vs Brighton

- Chelsea were rather drab in the game against Brighton and Hove Albion on Tuesday, April 20

- Tuchel was quick to admit there was mass distraction with all the Super League talk

- The Blues were among the first club to announce their decision to quit the league after fan outrage

- Despite the stalemate against the Seagulls, a draw was enough to spring them back into the top four

PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

Thomas Tuchel admitted his side were distracted by Super League talks in the 1-1 draw against Brighton and hove Albion on Tuesday, April 20.

Tuchel makes interesting Super League admission after Chelsea's drab draw vs Brighton
Thomas Tuchel admitted there were distractions about the Super League when his side took on Brighton on Tuesday night. Photo by Neil Hall.
Source: Getty Images

Chelsea were one of the12 clubs who were initially on board with the controversial breakaway competition, but have since expressed their desire to pull out.

In the build-up to Brighton’s game, Chelsea boss Tuchel tried to remain as neutral as possible but his stance seemed to have repercussions on the football pitch.

Read also

Guardiola delivers stunning revelation about the Super League which will stun all football fans

Chelsea on the day were rather flat and it was Brighton who enjoyed the best chances in the game, with Adam Lallana firing narrowly wide while Danny Welbeck struck the post from distance in the second half.

Defender Ben White received his marching orders for a second bookable offence as he impeded Chelsea as they tried to break away.

Speaking after the game, Tuchel said he wasn’t happy despite the fact that a point was enough to spring his side into the top four.

"I was clearly not happy, nobody was and that can happen even if we had the best preparation," Tuchel told BBC Sport.
"The situation was not clear. I was informed like you were informed. ... You didn't ask me about the match at all beforehand. You prepare a match, but it is strange that nobody is talking about it.
"It was not our best game - the opponents defended well and we weren't in the same rhythm. Maybe we were tired and a bit distracted, maybe a combination and it wasn't our best performance."

Read also

Furious Jose Mourinho breaks silence over sudden sack at Premier League club Tottenham

The Chelsea boss expanded his thoughts in a separate interview with Sky Sports where he broke down the distraction that faced his players.

I was affected so I think the players were affected," the manager said. "We talk of nothing else but Super League before the match. Nobody asked about the match before. It is like this. You have to accept the distraction. We tried to create an atmosphere to win the game but could not,”

By Tuesday night, the controversial Super League looked to be on its death bed as all Premier League sides announced their withdrawal from the competition, which was set to begin next season.

Chelsea were among the first to announce their intentions, saying, "Having joined the group late last week, we have now had time to consider the matter fully and have decided that our continued participation in these plans would not be in the best interests of the Club, our supporters or the wider football community."

Read also

Thomas Tuchel sets next big target for Chelsea stars after FA Cup win over Man City

The Blues were in danger of being expelled from the Champions League if they onboard the Super League.

They face Real Madrid, a side at the heart of the controversial league, in the Champions League semi-finals.

Tuchel also has the chance to clinch domestic silverware as his Chelsea side are in the FA Cup finals where they face Leicester City.

Earlier, Legit.ng had reported how all the six Premier League clubs that had signed up for the controversial European Super League have withdrawn from the plans.

The move came after sustained outrage and criticism from several quarters of the football sphere, with millions of fans petitioning against the plan on social media.

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel