- Governor Nasir El-Rufai has been urged to negotiate with bandits for the release of abducted children in Kaduna
- Some suspected bandits had on March 12, attacked a school and kidnapped 23 female and 16 male students
- The bandits later released a video and demanded N500 million to free the students, according to reports
Days after the abduction of 39 students of the federal college of forestry mechanisation in the Mando Igabi local government area of Kaduna state, the parents of the children have urged Governor Nasir El-Rufai to secure the release of their wards from their captors.
The Punch reports that the parents expressed grave worry that over two weeks after their children were kidnapped by gunmen who stormed their hostels, the students were yet to be released.
Legit.ng gathered that while speaking on Thursday, March 25, a member of staff of the school and a representative of the affected parents, Sani Friday, said the parents are afraid bandits may kill their children if the government deploys force.
Vanguard also reports that Friday, who spoke on a Channels TV programme, said his two daughters were among the students in captivity.
He appealed to the state governor to adjust his no-payment-of-ransom stance to facilitate the release of the students.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that Sheik Ahmad Gumi revealed why the kidnapped students of Kaduna are yet to be released.
It was reported that the cleric revealed on Thursday, March 25, that there is serious apprehension now among the bandits following the federal government's shoot-on-sight order.
The Muslim scholar said the criminals are very suspicious of anyone they come in contact with as they fear that such persons might be working for the government.
In a related report, some gunmen on Wednesday, March 24, raided residents of Kiyi town in Kuje Area Council of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and abducted at least four persons.
The report had it that one Salami Olalekan who is reportedly a member of staff of the Federal Capital Development Authority (FCTA) was among the kidnap victims.
William Salami, an elder brother of the victim, said the kidnappers made a demand of N200 million, N50 million for each hostage.