- The students kidnapped by bandits in Kaduna state have now spent two weeks in the criminals' custody
- This worries their parents who are now pleading with the state government to intensify efforts to rescue them
- The armed bandits had earlier released a video of the students and demanded N500 million ransom
The parents of the abducted students of the Federal College of Forestry Mechanisation, Mando, Kaduna state, has expressed worry over the refusal of the bandits to release the victims.
The abducted students have now spent two weeks in kidnappers’ custody.
According to The Punch, the anxious parents had earlier met some prominent Nigerians to help them prevail on Governor Nasir El-Rufai to step up efforts to rescue the students.
One of the parents who spoke to the newspaper on condition of anonymity on Wednesday, March 24, said they were bothered by the health of their children.
The parent noted that some of the students sustained injuries when they were abducted on Thursday, March 11.
The 48-hour ultimatum
Legit.ng gathers that the parents on Monday, March 22, protested and gave Kaduna state and the federal government a 48-hour ultimatum to rescue the students.
However, the parent told The Punch nothing has been heard from both the state and the federal governments concerning the latest development on the abductees.
Another parent reportedly told the newspaper he and others were concerned that the students were staying too long with the bandits.
He recalled that none of the recently kidnapped students of other schools in Niger and Zamfara state stayed this long with the kidnappers.
The parent was quoted to have said:
“We are becoming more apprehensive. We did not envisage that the abductors would keep them this long. It’s now almost two weeks they were taken away. Kagara and Jangede students were not kept as long as this."
The parents pleaded with the Kaduna state government to see to the plights of their children and secure their release from the bandits.
The N500 million ransom
Earlier, Legit.ng reported that the bandits made a demand of N500 million for the release of the students.
Three parents of some of the abducted students confirmed that the abductors reached out and made a demand of N500 million ransom.
The kidnappers have also released three videos showing the students in what appeared to be a forest area.
Nurudeen Lawal is a Legit.ng journalist passionate about fact-checking/verification journalism. He holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Literature-in-English from Obafemi Awolowo University. As Politics Editor, Nurudeen mostly writes on Nigeria’s political and socio-economic developments. He has attended different workshops, conferences and training on fact-checking and digital reporting, among others. Learn more about him on Twitter, @Nurudeen Lawal_