Attack on Ortom: Ex-DSS Director Sends Message to Miyetti Allah, Reveals what Herders' Group Should Do

Attack on Ortom: Ex-DSS Director Sends Message to Miyetti Allah, Reveals what Herders' Group Should Do

- A former DSS director, Mike Ejiofor, has spoken on the allegation against Miyetti Allah over the attack on Governor Ortom's convoy

- Ejiofor said the Fulani herders group must come out to condemn the attack and exonerate itself if it was not responsible as alleged

- Benue state governor, Ortom, had earlier claimed that some suspected herdsmen were behind the attack

PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

Mike Ejiofor, a former director of the Department of State Services (DSS) has reacted to the attack on the convoy of the governor of Benue state, Samuel Ortom.

Ortom's convoy was on Saturday, March 20. The Benue governor claimed suspected herdsmen were behind the attack.

Reacting to the development in an interview with The Punch, the former DSS chief said it is surprising that almost 48 hours after the attack, the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) has not condemned the attack or denied involvement in the ambush.

Read also

Where is your evidence that Fulani herdsmen attacked you - Northern group to Ortom

Attack on Ortom: Ex-DSS Director Sends Message to Miyetti Allah
Mike Ejiofor, a former director of DSS, has called on Miyetti Allah to react to the allegation that its members were behind the attack on Governor Ortom of Benue state. Photo credit: @GovSamuelOrtom
Source: Twitter

Ejiofor said the herders' group, MACBAN, must come out to exonerate itself if it was not responsible for the attack, noting that "silence at times means consent".

The ex-DSS director said the attack on the governor was a very sad situation and a daring one that is capable of conflagrating and causing a serious problem in the country.

Militia group claims responsibility

Meanwhile, a group known as the Fulani Nationality Movement (FUNAM) has claimed responsibility for the attack.

The shadowy group in a statement by one Umar Amir Shehu said the attack was an assassination attempt on the governor.

FUNAM claimed that it carried out the assault as revenge for the governor’s actions against the Fulani people.

However, the former DSS chief said he would consider the statement by the shadowy militia group as fake.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Read also

Whoever is caught should be punished – President Buhari reacts to attack on Governor Ortom

Nevertheless, he said should the statement by the group be true, then, Nigeria was in serious trouble and the security agencies must fish out the criminals who have claimed responsibility for the attack.

Arewa Youth Federation reacts

Meanwhile, Governor Ortom has been asked to produce evidence that he was actually attacked on Saturday, March 20, by Fulani herdsmen.

The challenge was put forward by the Arewa Youth Federation (AYF), a socio-cultural group of northern origin.

Adamu Kabir Matazu, AYF's president, expressed shock that the Benue governor arrived at this conclusion without evidence.

*****

Nurudeen Lawal is a Legit.ng journalist passionate about fact-checking/verification journalism. He holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Literature-in-English from Obafemi Awolowo University. As Politics Editor, Nurudeen mostly writes on Nigeria’s political and socio-economic developments. He has attended different workshops, conferences and training on fact-checking and digital reporting, among others. Learn more about him on Twitter, @Nurudeen Lawal_

Source: Legit

Online view pixel