- Lagosians have a new directive from Governor Sanwo-Olu on the rampaging coronavirus
- This followed the increased number of the virus in Nigeria and the state especially
- The governor who noted the similarities between malaria symptoms and COVID-19 urged residents to live and act responsibly as the virus knows nobody
A new directive has been issued to the people of Lagos state. The directive was issued by the governor of Lagos state, Babajide Sanwo-Olu.
He asked the people of Lagos to consider any malaria-like symptoms experienced as COVID-19 infection unless and until proven otherwise.
Sanwo-Olu disclosed this on Tuesday, January 19, during a press conference on COVID-19 update.
He said this follows an increase in the number of recorded cases of coronavirus in the country.
According to him, anyone with such symptoms should proceed to any of the state’s public health facilities or laboratories to get tested for free.
Going further, he urged people to begin to learn to live and act responsibly. He said this will augment the government’s efforts and previous success of flattening the curve.
Meanwhile, Nigerians have taken to social media to react to the governor's statement with many people faulting him on it.
Ayodele Oluwafemi in reaction on Facebook wrote:
"Why can't we view it the other way round? We should treat all coronavirus symptoms are malaria unless proven otherwise? I have an issue with the way these folks are overrating this Chinese flu."
D'Prince Rule-World Babatunde also said:
"We already know that's where your figures had been coming from meanwhile Malaria is not Covid-19...Pawpaw no be Pineapple."
Philibus Emmanuel wrote:
"Thank God I didn't believe them in the first place. Let me see the person that will come to vaccinate me."
Alexander Nwaolulu also added:
"Hope this man is not under the influence of some substance! Are you substituting malaria with covid 19? This is ridiculous! Haven't you guys created enough fear in the people? By this statement, people will now begin to engage in self-medicatin rather than been tagged a covid patient. You want to have as many names as possible for ease of stealing the people's common wealth. The crises you want to create in the health sector will overwhelm you and your bad advisers."
Legit.ng had reported that the Lagos state government on Saturday, January 16, extended the resumption date for civil servants from grade level 14 below who have been working from home amid scare of COVID-19 second wave.
In a statement by the head of service, Hakeem Muri-Okunola, the public workers have been directed to resume on Monday, February 1, instead of on January 18.
Lagos said this will help in flattening the curve and reduce the spread of the deadly and highly contagious coronavirus.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng also reported that in the wake of the second wave of the global pandemic called COVID-19, Kano state government on Tuesday, January 19, joined its other counterparts in directing civil servants to stay at home.
As part of measures to curb the second wave of the virus in the state, civil servants were ordered to stay at home pending further instructions.
The state government also imposed a fresh ban on viewing and event centres across the state following the spike in COVID-19 cases.
COVID-19: Parents speak on allowing their children return to school | Legit TV