Offa robbery: This is how we were threatened to implicate Saraki, petitioners open up

Offa robbery: This is how we were threatened to implicate Saraki, petitioners open up

- Two indigenes of Kwara state have revealed how they were asked to implicate ex-Senate president, Bukola Saraki, over Offa robbery

- Some people including a pregnant woman were killed when robbers invaded some banks in Offa in 2018

- Police later arrested some of the masterminds of the robbery

PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

The Kwara state judicial panel of inquiry on the EndSARS protest continued its sitting on Wednesday, January 6, in Ilorin, the state capital.

Nigerian Tribune reports that two petitioners narrated how they were tortured and humiliated by men of the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).

Legit.ng gathered that the petitioners, Alhaji Kehinde Gobir and Alhaji Shuaib Jawando, who accused the SARS officers of the alleged high depth of impunity and human rights abuses, said they were arrested for alleged involvement on April 5, 2018, in Offa robbery incident.

Breaking: Court orders remand of Sowore, four others in Kuje prison
Offa robbery: This is how we were threatened to implicate Saraki, Petitioners open up

Two petitioners have revealed they were asked to implicate Bukola Saraki in the Offa robbery case. Credit: @bukolasaraki
Source: Twitter

The petitioners, who said they spent over 73 days in police detention in both Ilorin and Abuja, added that the police accused them of collecting guns from the former Senate president, Bukola Saraki, to allegedly participate in the robbery operation.

They, however, denied being used by Saraki for criminal activities, telling the panel that they were tortured and subjected to dehumanising conditions in both Ilorin and Abuja police detentions.

The petitioners said they were only political supporters of the former Senate president, adding that the police threatened them to implicate Saraki during their alleged ordeal in detention.

They also accused the disbanded SARS officers of confiscating their property, which includes two Toyota Corolla, handsets and N250,000 collected before they were granted bail.

The petitioners said:

“In view of the foregoing and in the interest of justice, we urge your esteemed office to intervene swiftly to this situation by returning our property as this action is tantamount to infringement on the fundamental human rights to be enjoyed under the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as amended.
Insecurity: This is what terrorists do with ransom money - Buhari's ex-minister reveals
“We did not participate in any crime nor involve in any Offa robbery killing or having any criminal records whatsoever as being wrongfully alleged by the SARS officers. We urge the panel to do the needful by facilitating the quick recovery of our property.”

The police counsel, Adekunle Iwalaye, in his response, urged the panel to dismiss the petitions in their entirety.

The chairman of the panel, retired Justice Tunde Garba, later adjourned the matter to January 13, 2021.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the Nigerian government reacted to the UK parliament's resolution on the petition written by the EndSARS protesters seeking a sanction on some top political office holders over gross human rights violations.

It was reported that during a sitting at the Westminster Hall, the lawmakers, led by Theresa Villiers, a member of the British Conservative Party, took turns to slam the President Muhammadu Buhari-led government for the poor handling of the protest.

Tale of tears: How 3 soldiers were killed, many injured by Boko Haram's explosive devices - Witness recounts

#ENDSARS or #REFORMSARS? Nigerians blow hot | - on Legit TV

Source: Legit

Online view pixel