Northeast now safe with killing of Boko Haram commander, coalition says

Northeast now safe with killing of Boko Haram commander, coalition says

- A coalition of civil society organisation, Coalition Against Terrorism and Extremism (CATE) has hailed troops of the Nigerian military over the killing of a Boko Haram governor Amir Maina

- The coalition said the killing of Maina shows that the military is bent on ending insurgency in the northeast region

- According to the coalition, the military must not relent in its fight against terrorism

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

The Coalition Against Terrorism and Extremism (CATE) on Friday, December 4, said that the northeast region of Nigeria is heading closer to safety following the killing of a Lake Chad based Boko Haram commander, Amir Maina.

In a statement seen by Legit.ng, the national coordinator of CATE, Gabriel Onoja, said the death of Maina, an acclaimed terrorist governor of Lake Chad Tumbun, is evidence of military leadership coordination in ending the protracted Boko Haram insurgency in the northeast.

Read also

Zabarmari killings: Lai Mohammed says Nigeria has been denied access to modern weapons

Onoja said Maina, the once-invincible terrorist kingpin, was killed in line with President Muhammadu Buhari's order to flush insurgents from Nigeria.

He said Maina's death is a befitting consequence for the killing of farmers in Zabarmari village, Borno state.

Onoja also called on soldiers of the Nigerian military to maintain the momentum and flush out other fleeing members of the Boko Haram group.

His words:

"The military should ensure that there is no terrorists spared in this round of operation against the terrorists to ensure that they do not have time to recover or ever regroup again."

Onoja further warned individuals and organizations that usually get involved in slowing down the impending escalation of military actions against Boko Haram terrorists to desist from doing so.

Maina was said to have been killed by troops of Operation Lafiya Dole during an onslaught against Boko Haram terrorists in the northeast region.

Read also

How 7 soldiers taking food to IDPs camp were killed by Boko Haram, a gun truck seized - Eyewitness reveals

The killing of the terrorist commander follows the recent massacre of some farmers who were killed by unidentified terrorists in Zabarmari community.

Since 1999, Boko Haram has continued to invade communities killing residents and destroying property. The most controversial of the activities of the terror group which also received global condemnation was the kidnap of over 200 schoolgirls from the Government Secondary School Chibok on April 14, 2014. All the girls are yet to be rescued while some have also managed to escape from the terrorists' camp.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the presidency in a reaction to the killing of farmers in Zabarmari village said places with active Boko Haram presence should be allowed to pass military tests before any form of habitation by citizens.

The spokesperson for the president, Garba Shehu, said farmers and settlers must allow the military to confirm that place is safe before settling.

Shehu said he has been told by military leaders that the people have not been advised to return to their communities in the affected area.

Also, following the attack and killing of farmers in the community, Nigerians heaped heavy criticism on governors of the northern region.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

The Nigerians who took to social media platforms said the governors have failed to prioritise security in the northeast region of the country.

Can Nigerian Soldiers really not deal with Boko Haram fighters? | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel