- Desmond Elliot has apologized for addressing Nigerian youths as children while pushing for social media regulation in Nigeria
- The actor turned politician explained his remarks were borne out of 'the magnitude of destruction and looting' he witnessed
- His apology comes amidst heavy backlash from many Nigerian including his industry colleagues who expressed their disapproval
Nollywood actor and politician, Desmond Elliot, has taken to social media to tender an apology to Nigerians over his remarks during a recent sitting at the Lagos state House of Assembly.
Pulse had earlier published a video of the lawmaker reacting to the recent looting and destruction of properties in Lagos during a plenary session at the Lagos State House of Assembly.
In the video, Elliot said that he didn't believe ‘children’ on social media could be bold enough to curse and insult their leaders following the Lekki shooting incident on Tuesday, October 20, 2020.
PAY ATTENTION: Do you have news to share? Contact Legit.ng instantly
This sparked major outrage on social media which resulted in the actor getting dragged on Twitter. His colleagues in the entertainment industry did not spare him either.
Well, Elliot has now tweeted an apology, explaining that he did not mean to come off as insensitive.
In a series of tweets, the actor/politician explained that his outburst was borne from the destruction and looting he witnessed during a tour of his constituency.
He, however, acknowledged his mistakes and promised to be more 'conscious and aware'.
Read his statement below:
“I have read your honest feedback& suggestions& I sincerely apologize for addressing the youth as “Children” I did not mean to be insensitive with this, it was borne out of the magnitude of destruction & looting of businesses I witnessed when I went on a tour of my constituency. I saw women crying and my constituent members distraught as a result of the damages inflicted on their source of livelihood. I was moved by this while giving my submission on the floor of the House.
EndSARS: We're sorry - Buhari's minister begs youths, breaks down in tears over vandalised assets in Calabar (photos)
I allowed my emotions get the better of me and for this I apologize to everyone my earlier statements may have hurt. Please, understand that even the best of us make mistakes. This is why, moving forward, I ask that we all try to engage constructively on the issues that affect all of us. I promise to do the same. The pain that I feel for my constituents, the calls for assistance that I continue to get, and the need to mitigate against further destruction and violence will continue to drive my engagements and my work.
"I thank you all for expressing your views, and in the future, I promise to be more conscious and aware. Together, we will build a better Nigeria."
PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News on Legit.ng News App
Click the tweet below to read the full statement:
Still on Elliot, the Nollywood actor turned politician eventually came out to say that that was not what he meant even though a video that confirmed the statement went viral.
It's not true - Confusion as "Tinubu's boy" who is a Lagos lawmaker reacts to sponsoring social media bill (video)
In an interview with Arise TV, Desmond Elliott said that he did not say that Nigerians should not protest, and he also did not say anything about regulation because social media helped him during elections.
Top 3 Nollywood Stars: Who Earns More Than Others? | Legit TV
Source: Legit Newspaper