- The Defence Headquarters has reacted over the shooting of EndSARS protesters at Lekki tollgate
- Some EndSARS protesters lost their lives after the Lekki shooting on Tuesday, October 20
- Maj. Gen. John Enenche, the coordinator, Defence Media Operations (DMO), however, said the viral video was photoshopped
The Nigerian Defence Headquarters has reacted over the alleged shooting of some EndSARS protesters at Lekki tollgate by soldiers.
PM News reports that the coordinator, Defence Media Operations (DMO), Maj. Gen. John Enenche, stated that the videos which surfaced online showing soldiers shooting at peaceful protesters at the Lekki Toll Plaza was fake and was either photoshopped or cropped.
Legit.ng gathered that Eneche made this known while addressing newsmen at a press conference on the shooting which was allegedly perpetrated by soldiers of the Nigerian Army.
He described the claims as mere allegations as he said that some military analysts had dismissed as untrue.
The online medium said that Eneche admitted that the military is involved in internal security operations codenamed ‘Operation MESA’ in nine states.
He, however, declined to disclose further details on the joint security task force, adding that Operation MESA is under the control of the state governments and that it comprised the Army, Navy, Air Force, Civil Defence and police personnel.
“The issue is not an operation that I can respond to, but I can tell you that it is an allegation, for now; so let us not set the cart before the horse.
“If the matter was still open-ended, I would have had a response for you but it is no longer open-ended because immediately, not even up to five hours before midnight, the governor of Lagos set up an inquiry. So, whatever we say now will not be fair to the commission.
“So these operations are still standing and running and I am aware that the state governments are using them in all these capacities, that is internal security The level we are now is internal security and that is why the police proactively came out and then deployed all their force package that are necessary to handle that (violence).”
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu cleared the air on the alleged removal of the CCTV camera prior to the shootings of the EndSARS protesters at Lekki tollgate.
It was reported that while speaking on Arise TV on Thursday, October 22, the Lagos state governor stated that "nobody ordered" the removal of the camera and turning off the light contrary to the circulation on the social media.
What’s the best punishment for erring SARS officers? | - on Legit TV