- A group of Nigerian elders have called on their fellow elders in the northeast region to prevail of terrorists operating in the region to surrender to Nigerian military
- The elders said the continued attack on the convoy of the Borno state governor can no longer be condoned
- According to the elders, there is need for local in the region to complement efforts made by troops in ending insurgency
The Patriotic Elders Council (PEC) on Monday, September 28, charged fellow elders from the northeastern region of Nigeria to lead the call on Boko Haram members to surrender to troops of the Nigerian military.
The group led by its secretary-general, Simon Shango, said stakeholders in the northeast region must rise to the challenge and support the military troops in their quest to end terrorism in Nigeria.
Reacting to the consistent attacks on the convoy of the Borno state governor, Babagana Zulum, PEC said some elders in the region have failed in their responsibility to complement the efforts of troops against insurgents.
Simon assured that a sustained synergy between the troops of the military in warfare and traditional or political leaders in the region is highly recommended in curtailing the activities of the insurgents.
He said each time the insurgents hide in the villages and communities, they are mostly shielded by locals - an act which the group described as extremely unfair to the troops.
Simon added that while Nigeria faces the most difficult and turbulent times today in her 60-years of existence as a nation, deliberate acts of sabotage and mischief should never be condoned.
“Let us remind ourselves again that our colleagues, the Northeast leaders, elders and stakeholders must rise up now to complement the military’s efforts by calling on the insurgents, their own children to surrender and embrace peace in northern Borno now.” Simon said.
Also noting that President Muhammadu Buhari has committedly battled the Boko Haram insurgency to a standstill with the help of the military, Simon said it is unimaginable that only in northern Borno have the insurgents refused to give way for peace to reign.
He said it is expected that every Nigerian should be worried at this as silence is no longer golden.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the Borno state governor had alleged that some saboteurs were working against the nation’s effort to end the war against Boko Haram terrorists.
The governor said some strong forces are working hard to prevent both the federal government and the Borno state government from succeeding in the fight against insurgency in the northeast region of the country.
According to Governor Zulum, there is need for President Buhari to closely analyze the nation’s security architecture to find better ways to end terrorism in Nigeria.
In other news, the inspector general of police, Mohammed Adamu, has said that the constant attack on Governor Zulum’s convoy will not dampen the morale of officers of the Nigeria Police.
The IGP’s statement followed the killing of security personnel attack to Governor Zulum’s convoy by members of Boko Haram terrorist group.
Adamu in a statement signed by the force public relations officer, DCP Frank Mba, also ordered the assistant inspector general of police in-charge of medical services to ensure that adequate healthcare services are provided for police officers affected by the attack.
Soldiers have killed 92 Boko Haram members in the past week - Major General Enenche | Legit TV