Defence Headquarters says Boko Haram, not soldiers, attacked Borno governor’s convoy

Defence Headquarters says Boko Haram, not soldiers, attacked Borno governor’s convoy

- Contrary to Governor Zulum's claim, the Defence Headquarters has said it was Boko Haram that attacked the Borno governor's convoy

- Governor Zulum had earlier said the attack on his convoy was complete sabotage from the military

- The Defence Headquarters, however, said findings from the footage of the attack show that it was Boko Haram that attacked Governor Zulum’s convoy

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

The Defence Headquarters has disagreed with the governor of Borno state, Babagana Zulum, over the attack on the governor's convoy on Wednesday, July 29.

Governor Zulum had accused the soldiers of being responsible for the attack on his convoy in Baga, a town in Kukawa local government area of the state

The Borno state governor said what happened to him was complete sabotage from the military.

Trouble for Rohr as big Super Eagles star listed among players to be sold at top EPL club

“It is a complete sabotage… I cannot end my interview without clearly stating what happened yesterday. As far as I am concerned, there was no Boko Haram yesterday (Wednesday). It was a serious shooting by the Nigerian armed forces while ‘residing’ in Baga. The situation is very embarrassing,” he said.

Defence Headquarters says Boko Haram, not soldiers, attacked Borno governor’s convoy

Defence Headquarters says Boko Haram, not soldiers, attacked Borno governor’s convoy. Photo credit: The Governor of Borno State
Source: Facebook

However, on Wednesday, August 5, the coordinator of the Defence Headquarters Media Operations, John Enenche, said findings from the footage of the attack show that it was Boko Haram that attacked Governor Zulum’s convoy.

“It is an allegation which needed to be probed and also, I must say for such an allegation, it calls for worry on our part as the high command of which we went into action immediately,” Enenche, a major-general, told Channels TV as monitored by Premium Times.

“We investigated it immediately and the strategic level is cleared of that; operational level cleared of that, tactical level, cleared of that. We analysed the video: you will discover from the sound of the gunshots, it is not the professional weapons that we use.

Anthony Joshua tells younger generation what they must do to their parents while still alive

“And of course, if you have operated with an enemy for some time, we call it enemy habit. From the analysis, it was purely that of the enemies, Boko Haram, in that area. From the tactics, and from the search conducted, it was the insurgents.

“So, our fears were allayed within 48 hours. It is not anything sabotage from the tactical, operational and strategic level, that is if you want to rate it from rank down to the person on the frontline.”

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

Earlier, Legit.ng reported that a civil society organisation, Coalition for Truth and Justice (CTJ), on Monday, August 3, called for an urgent probe into the attack on the convoy of Governor Zulum by suspected Boko Haram terrorists.

The coalition urged the Nigerian military to investigate and make public, its findings on what transpired while the governor was on a trip to Monguno and Baga for the distribution of food to some Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs).

Our step-mum is behind our travails - Abiola’s children open up after 13 days in custody

Charles Timothy, CTJ's national coordinator, in a statement, said conflicting reports suggest that there could be more to the incident which took place on Wednesday, July 29.

Also warning that such conflicting reports could undermine the efforts of the Nigerian military in the fight against terrorism ravaging the northeast, Timothy said there is a tendency for the general public to fall victim to the propaganda of the Boko Haram terrorist group.

Soldiers have killed 92 Boko Haram members in the past week - Major General Enenche | Legit TV

Source: Legit Newspaper

Online view pixel