5 key takeaways from presidency's official statement on Magu's probe

5 key takeaways from presidency's official statement on Magu's probe

About five days after Ibrahim Magu's probe started, the presidency has released an official statement on the development.

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

Many Nigerians had condemned the deafening silence of the presidency especially as the media space was awash with several inconsistent reports.

Since Magu's probe began, the only official statement released was from the office of the minister of justice and attorney general of the federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN).

5 key takeaways from presidency's official statement on Magu's probe

5 key takeaways from presidency's official statement on Magu's probe. Photo credit: Premium Times
Source: UGC

The statement confirmed that President Buhari had approved Magu's suspension and replaced him with Mohammed Umar, the EFCC's director of operations.

The presidency has, however, released an official statement on the probe of the suspended EFCC boss on Saturday, July 11.

Legit.ng highlights some key points from the statement released by Garba Shehu, the senior special assistant to President Buhari on media and publicity:

President Buhari nominates Okonjo-Iweala for top position

1. The probe is not about Magu alone, other EFCC staff are involved

Though the suspended EFCC boss, Magu, is headlining the probe, he is not the only one indicted. The statement said the ongoing probe is a result of documented allegations made against Magu "and several other members of his staff".

2. Magu's suspension

The presidency said Magu was suspended because he has to step down from his seat and allow for a transparent and unhindered investigation.

3. Presidential panel legal

While some have questioned the decision of the federal government for setting up a presidential panel to probe Magu instead of approaching the court, the presidency said the panel is "in compliance with the extant laws governing the convening of such a body".

4. Magu is given opportunity to defend himself

The statement also said the embattled EFCC boss is being availed the opportunity to defend himself and answer the allegations against him.

Coronavirus: Traders reveal hike in cost of food items as Easter beckons

5. Magu's probe shows anti-corruption fight is real

Contrary to some arguments that Magu's probe implies the fight against corruption under President Buhari is failing, the presidency said the probe of the EFCC probe shows the fight is real and active.

The statement reiterates that Magu's probe shows "there are no sacred cows" in the Buhari government's anti-corruption fight.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that former governor of Ekiti state, Ayodele Fayose, said Magu should be detained for 28 days.

In a thread of tweets posted via his verified Twitter handle on Saturday, July 11, Fayose advised the presidential panel probing Magu to formalise his detention "by obtaining days Remand Order from court to enable completion of investigations".

Fayose also asked the panel to get temporary and permanent forfeiture of alleged loots linked to him.

Nigerian striker scores 2 goals to help top European club stretch their unbeaten run to 9 games

Buhari suspends Magu as EFCC boss, Nigerians react | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Online view pixel