- The Oyo state government has postponed the date for the resumption of primary 6, JSS 3 and SS 3 students
- The Oyo state COVID-19 task made the announcement on Tuesday, June 23, after it reviewed the state's preparedness on the planned resumption of schools
- By the new arrangement, primary 6, JSS 3 and SS3 students in the state will now resume on July 6
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
Due to COVID-19 safety concerns, the Oyo state government has postponed the date for the resumption of primary 6, Junior Secondary School 3, and Senior Secondary School 3 students in the state.
The Oyo state COVID-19 task made the announcement on Tuesday, June 23, after it reviewed the state's preparedness on the planned resumption of schools, The Guardian reports.
The state had earlier said students in primary 6, JSS 3, and SS3 in the state could resume on Monday, June 29.
But the spokesperson to the Oyo state governor, Taiwo Adisa, in a statement disclosed that by the new arrangement, teachers would be the ones to resume on Monday, June 29,
He said primary 6, JSS3 and SS3, will now resume on July 6.
Adisa also disclosed that the Oyo state government has been inspecting schools to determine compliance with the COVID-19 prevention protocols put in place ahead of resumption.
Meanwhile, amid mounting pressure from parents and stakeholders, the federal government said it has submitted proposal for the reopening of schools nationwide to the National Assembly (NASS).
Speaking at a meeting on Tuesday, June 23, with members of the Senate committee on basic and secondary education, minister of education (state) Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba made this known in what apparently ushered in a flash of hope.
Nwajiuba, however, noted that the proposal is different from guidelines earlier released on ban lift on learning centres.
The minister further added that education of the country can be moved forward despite the pandemic if all stakeholders fashion out effective ways that will not contribute to the spike in Covid-19 infection.
He emphasised that what federal government has now is a proposal which will also be presented to the Senate at large as it was done for House of Representatives.
In another news, as cases of coronavirus continue to rise in Nigeria, Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, director-general, Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), has revealed that there is no state that is free from the outbreak.
He disclosed this at the Presidential Task Force (PTF) media briefing on Monday, June 22, in Abuja.
According to him, some states who might not have recorded any COVID-19 case at the moment will eventually do.
Going further, he praised Akwa Ibom, Edo, Plateau and Lagos for their response to the outbreak. However, Ihekweazu says he is disappointed that Nigerians were grossly not adhering to the preventive measures against the disease.
Now to news on health, Lagos doctors are said to be overwhelmed by the number of COVID-19 patients being treated in the state.
Dr Aronyewahab Ayofe, a doctor who works with the Lagos state health service commission made the disclosure in an interview with Legit.ng.
He said the doctors in the state are sometimes overworked.
He disclosed that medical personnel lack adequate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and other essential facilities.
PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update
COVID-19: Parents speak on allowing their children return to school | Legit TV