Beware of COVID-19 cyber-attacks, fraud - CBN warns Nigerians
- The Central Bank of Nigeria has alerted the public about the activities of fraudsters who are taking advantage of the global pandemic
- The apex bank said that cyber-criminals are trying to steal sensitive information using various techniques
- CBN also noted that all over the world there has been a rise in COVID-19-related cybercriminal activities
Amid the current pandemic that Nigeria and the world are facing, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has raised an alarm over activities of fraudsters trying to defraud citizens under the guise of COVID-19.
In a statement shared on its official Facebook page on Monday, April 6, CBN noted that some of the cyber-criminal activities using the COVID-19 pandemic include phishing campaigns, relief packages, and impersonation.
The statement reads in part: "The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) wishes to alert the general public that cyber-criminals are taking advantage of the current “COVID-19” pandemic to defraud citizens, steal sensitive information, or gain unauthorized access to computers or mobile devices using various techniques."
CBN went on to note that the trend is not peculiar to Nigeria as all over the world there has been a rise in COVID-19-related cybercriminal activities.
While noting that their priority is to ensure that customers are aware of the ongoing trend, the apex bank urged Nigerians to observe precautions so as not to fall victims of cyber-crimes.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs has alerted Nigerians about the activities of fraudsters trying to defraud citizens under the guise of paying government grants.
The fraudsters who claimed to be from the humanitarian affairs named the scheme COVID-19 federal government grants.
They said the federal government had ordered weekly payment of eight thousand five hundred naira weekly to all citizens above the age of 18 years. Those behind the scheme then asked respondents to fill a form where they are asked to disclose some sensitive information.
In a related development, the federal government has alerted Nigerians to the existence of an android-based malicious and fraudulent coronavirus ransomware application.
The minister of information and culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, raised the alarm via a press statement on Tuesday, March 24. Mohammed said the application claims to provide updates on the virus and infections near the user.
He said the ransomware blocks access to users' personal data and accounts and threatens deletion unless users pay One Hundred US Dollars ($100) in Bitcoin within 48 hours.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better
Coronavirus: Are Nigerians really afraid of COVID-19? New survey reveals more | Legit TV