JUST IN: Ogun govt postpones Buhari's lock-down directive

JUST IN: Ogun govt postpones Buhari's lock-down directive

- The Ogun state government has postponed the lockdown directive in its domain

- President Buhari recently announced a lockdown of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Lagos and Ogun states for 14 days

- The governor said he consulted with the president on the need to extend the lockdown directive

The Ogun state government has postponed the lockdown directive of President Muhammadu Buhari which was supposed to commence from midnight of Monday, March 30, till Friday, April 3.

Tribune reports that the state governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun, disclosed this during his address to the people of the state shortly after inspecting 128-bed isolation centre located in Ikenne Remo.

The governor said he consulted with the President Buhari on the need to extend the lockdown directive in the overall interest of the people of the state.

JUST IN: Ogun govt postpones Buhari's lock-down directive

The Ogun state governor said he got the permission of Buhari to extend the lock-down directive in his domain
Source: Twitter

PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update

While noting that the president agreed to the request, Governor Abiodun urged the people of the state to remain calm and stock up food items ahead of time.

He added that the state had procured 20 ventilators for use at the isolation centres.

On Sunday, March 29, President Buhari announced a lockdown of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Lagos and Ogun states for 14 days.

The lockdown which will take effect from 11pm on Monday, March 30, is to contain the Covid-19 spread in the country.

“Some of these measures will surely cause major inconveniences to many citizens. But these are sacrifices we should all be willing and ready to make for the greater good of our country.

“In Nigeria’s fight against COVID-19, there is no such thing as an overreaction or an under-reaction. It is all about the right reaction by the right agencies and trained experts,” President Buhari said while announcing the measures in a nationwide broadcast.

Apart from the lockdown, the Buhari-led government had taken other measures to combat the spread of the virus.

Recently, the government directed the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCS) to release all awaiting trial inmates in its custody.

Minister of interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola who gave the directive, said the move is to prevent the ravaging coronavirus from spreading into the correctional centres.

The government had earlier closed the country's international airports to ensure those from high-risk countries do not find their way into Nigeria.

The government also announced the closure of all land borders for four weeks as part of its lockdown measures.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better

Coronavirus: Are Nigerians really afraid of COVID-19? New survey reveals more | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel