Coronavirus: WAEC postpones school WASSCE for 2020

Coronavirus: WAEC postpones school WASSCE for 2020

- WAEC has cancelled the 2020 WASSCE for school candidates over the raging spread of coronavirus

- WAEC's head of national office in Nigeria, Patrick Ehidiamen Areghan, said that the examination has been postponed indefinitely

- However, Areghan informed candidates that a new date will be made public once the health situation improves in relation to the disease

The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) has postponed the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) for school candidates for 2020 until further notice due to the spread of coronavirus.

Patrick Ehidiamen Areghan, WAEC's head of national office in Nigeria, on Friday, March 20, said that the examination earlier fixed to begin on Monday, April 6, across member nations will no longer be conducted as planned, The Nation reports.

In a statement on Friday, Areghan said: “This decision is a demonstration of the organisation’s concern and support for the various protocols being put in place by the federal and state governments of Nigeria and the governments of the other member countries to check the spread of the disease."

COVID-19: Enugu govt directs closure of public, private primary and secondary schools

He added that upon the improvement of the global health circumstances that necessitated the postponement, a new date will be fixed and announced to the public.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng reported that coronavirus scare in the country hit a frightening phase on Wednesday, March 18, as fives more cases of the global epidemic were reported, barely twenty-four hours after the Ministry of Health announced the third case.

The new developments were confirmed by the special adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on new media, Tolu Ogunlesi.

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

In a series of tweet, Ogunlesi said four of the victims are Nigerians who just came from the United States of America and United Kingdom.

The presidential aide also claimed that one of the four new Nigerian victims is a 6-week old baby — the youngest victim reported so far. He added that the fifth victim is a "foreign national who came in through the land border — the first case of infection via land border in Nigeria."

Breaking: LASU postpones 24th convocation over coronavirus as Lagos reports 4 new cases

Legit.ng also noted that coronavirus test has been carried out in 10 states since February 27 when the first case was reported.

Although some suspected cases tested negative, the last five days had seen the country dive into the red zone as more cases- confirmed or suspected- were reported in some states.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Coronavirus: Nigerians take advantage of every situation | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel