- At least seven persons were injured on Sunday, February 7, after a cooking gas cylinder exploded in Anambra
- Fire also gutted INEC office in Ogidi, Idemili North LGA of the state
- Both incidents were confirmed police spokesperson, Haruna Mohammed
- According to him, no lives were lost in both fire incidents
There has been a fire incident at the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) office in Ogidi, Idemili North local government area of Anambra state.
Properties worth millions were on Sunday, February 2, destroyed by the fire which allegedly emanated from bush burning, The Nation reports.
The extent of damages done is, however, yet to be determined.
Also on Sunday, there was a gas explosion in two rooms of a storey building at No 23 Emmanuel Church road, Inland town Onitsha. Seven persons were feared burnt in the incident.
According to NAN report, the fire emanated from a gas cooker recently procured. It exploded as they tried to use it for the first time.
The police spokesman in the state, Haruna Mohammed, said there was no loss of life. He added that the Onitsha incident victims who sustained varying degrees of injuries were responding to treatment.
According to him, the Onitsha incident happened at about 10:30am at one Mbamalu Patty’s house in a storey building.
The names of the victims are Nonso Okafor (male), Nkechi Chinyere Okafor (female), Chisoba Okafor (male), Ebuka Okafor (male), Nwabuchi Chukwutor (male), Chialuka Nwabuchi (male) and Ifeoma Nwabuchi (female).
He said: “At about 12:30pm today, there was another fire incident at INEC office Ogidi in Idemili North LGA of Anambra state.
“Police patrol team led by DPO Ogidi Division rushed to the scene and fire service department was contacted."
Mohammed said the scene has been cordoned off as they try to off the fire and prevent it from escalating to other adjourning buildings.
The police commissioner in the state, John Abang, has also ordered a discreet investigation to ascertain circumstances surrounding the incident.
There have several reports of fire incidents across states in the country. In the early hours of Saturday, January 25, the Amu timbre market in the Olorunshogo area of Mushin, Lagos state was gutted by fire.
Many goods and properties were destroyed in the fire.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We keep evolving to serve our readers better
Lagos Fire: This outbreak has now become a yearly 'sacrifice' - traders lament| Legit TV