The world has seen some of the best people live through its times. While we may not have been fortunate to meet or experience them first hand, some of the best gifts they left behind are in the form of sayings and great quotes. These are what Shakespeare quotes are all about. The great artist and thinker had a thing or two to say about every aspect of life as captured in some of his great quotes.
As a creative, Shakespeare experienced life through his own eyes. It was special and spectacular. It is this uniqueness that makes his sayings relevant even today. Whether through his plays or other literary works, it is easy to see that the man was full of wisdom. Check out the following quotes.
Impressive Shakespeare quotes
It appears as though William Shakespeare quotes touch on every subject of life. Chances are that you will find a quote to suit every situation you can imagine. Consider the following life quotes. While all the quotes are by William Shakespeare, the ones listen below include the literary sources.
- The web of our life is of a mingled yarn, good and ill together. - All’s Well That Ends Well
- I bear a charmed life. - Macbeth
- O excellent! I love long life better than figs. - Antony and Cleopatra
- Thy life’s a miracle. - King Lear
- Let life be short: else shame will be too long. - Henry V
- Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. -Macbeth.
- Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. -Twelfth Night
- When we are born, we cry, that we have come to this great stage of fools. - King Lear
- And a man’s life’s no more than to say ‘One’ - Hamlet
- We are such stuff as dreams are made on and our little life is rounded with asleep. - The Tempest
- Lay aside life-harming heaviness, And entertain a cheerful disposition. - Richard II
- There where my fortune lives, there my life dies. - King John
- By medicine life may be prolonged, yet death will seize the doctor too. - Cymbeline
- Give that which gave thee life unto the worms. - Henry IV Part II
- Your name from hence immortal life shall have, though I, once gone, to all the world must die. - Sonnet 81
Shakespeare love quotes
Some of the most famous Shakespeare quotes are on the subject of love. It seems as though the best Shakespeare quotes come loaded with emotions that trigger some of the deepest feelings in people. Here are a few examples of Shakespeare quotes about love.
- Love is a smoke made by fumes of sighs.
- ‘There’s beggary in love that can be reckoned’ - Antony & Cleopatra – Act 1, Scene 1
- I would not wish any companion in the world but you.
- Stars hide your fires, let not light see my black and deep desires.
- Love goes by haps; Some Cupid kills with arrows, some with traps’ - Much Ado About Nothing – Act 3, Scene 2
- Love cannot be found where it does not exist, nor can it be hidden where it truly exists.
- Love is like a child, That longs for everything it can come by’ - The Two Gentlemen of Verona – Act 3, Scene 1
- The course of true love never did run smooth.
- Doubt thou the stars are fire, doubt that the sun doth move, doubt truth to be a liar but never doubt that I love.
- Cupid is a knavish lad, thus to make females mad - A Midsummer Night’s Dream – Act 3, Scene 3
- When I saw you I fell in love and you smiled because you knew.
- Let her sleep for when she wakes she will move mountains.
- Whoever loved that loved not at first sight?’ - As You Like It – Act 3, Scene 5
- Love is too young to know what conscience is.
- Love looks not with the eyes but with the mind and therefore is winged cupid painted blind.
- Though she be but little, she is fierce.
- ‘I love you more than words can wield the matter, Dearer than eyesight, space and liberty’ - King Lear – Act 1, scene 1
Funny Shakespeare quotes
Shakespeare also had a humorous side to himself. This has been captured through the different quotes that will make you laugh. Here are a few examples to consider.
- Thou sodden-witted lord! thou hast no more brain than I have in mine elbows. — Troilus and Cressida, Act 2 scene 1, lines 42-43; Thersites to Ajax
- Would thou wert clean enough to spit upon! — Timon of Athens, Act 4 scene 3, line 361; Timon to Apemantus
- There’s no more faith in thee than in a stewed prune — Henry IV Part 1, Act 3 scene 3, lines 111-12; Falstaff to Mistress Quickly
- Thou whoreson zed, thou unnecessary letter! — King Lear, Act 2 scene 2, line 62; Earl Of Kent to Oswald
- Go, prick thy face and over-red thy fear, / Thou lily-livered boy — Macbeth, Act 5 scene 3, lines 14-15; Macbeth to a Servant
Shakespeare quotes about life
Consider the following quotes by the famous scholar that will get you thinking about life in general. There are certain situations in life that only experience can teach you about. With these quotes, you get to understand life at a deeper level.
- Better three hours too soon than a minute too late.
- When words fail music speaks.
- Let me that I am and seek not to alter me.
- Empty vessels make the greatest sound.
- The earth has music for those who listen.
- I would challenge you in the battle of wits but I can see you are unarmed.
- Suspicion always haunts the guilty mind.
- Nothing is good or bad but thinking makes it so.
- To thine own self be true.
- A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become and still, gently allows you to grow.
- What's done cannot be undone.
- It s easy for people to joke about scars if they are never been cut.
- Give every man thy ear but few thy voice.
- When words are scarce, they are seldom spent in vain.
- Tis one thing to be tempted, another to fall.
- The meaning of life is to find your gift and the purpose of life is to give it away.
- We know what we are but we know not what we may be.
- By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.
- Expectation is the root of all heartache
- What's past is prologue.
- A fool thinks himself to be wise but a wise man knows himself as a fool.
- Joy delights in joy.
- Scars remind us that the past was real
- Thoughts are but dreams till their effects be tried.
- No legacy is so rich as honesty.
- The prince of darkness is a gentleman.
- Lawless are they that make their wills their law
- Have more than you show, speak less than you know.
- There is no darkness but ignorance.
- By that sin fell the angels.
With the above Shakespeare quotes love, truth and life are shone in a different light. Do you have a favourite Shakespeare quote that you love sharing with others? In the end, you will always find a quote that works for you.