One of the most critical challenges new parents are tasked with involves picking the right names for their children. All parents intend to give their kids the best names: those that are beautiful, unique, as well as meaningful. Korean boy names are among the most commonly used nowadays.
Korean names are usually written in hanja. Hanja is a Korean term meaning "Chinese characters".
Korean baby names can have various hanja meanings according to how they are written in hanja. Thus, once you pick out male Korean names, ensure that you know the hanja meanings of those monickers.
What are common Korean names? Here are some of the best Korean male names.
Common Korean boy names
These Korean name meanings are awesome, just check them out:
- Baek Hyeon: Baek means older brother, while Hyeon stands for virtuous or worthy. The name, therefore, means virtuous brother.
- Beom Seok: Beom means pattern, rule, or model, whereas Seok means like a rock or pattern of a rock.
- Bae: Inspiration
- Bong: Mythical bird
- Bong-ju: Means post, pillar or support
- Bon-hwa: Glorious one
- Bo-seon: Charitable, kind, virtuous, or good
- Bitgaram: Light river
- Byeong-cheol: Sagacious or wise
- Byeong-su: Conserve, guard, protect, defend
- Cho: Handsome
- Chin-hae: Ocean depth, or truth
- Chin-hwa: The wealthiest and most prosperous of all
- Chin-mae: A truthful person
- Chul: Firm; not hard nor soft
- Chung Ae: Love and noble
- Chung-ho: A righteous lake
- Chung-hee: Dutiful and righteous
- Dae: The great one, shining
- Dae-ho: A great personality, great
- Dae-yun: Honour and great
- Dae-jung: Honest, great and righteous
- Dak-ho: Deep lake
- Doh: Accomplishment
- Du-ho: Head and goodness
- Geon: To construct, strong or respect
- Gi: Brave or foundation
- Gook: Nation
- Haneul: Heavenly
- Hak-kun: Rooted in intelligence
- Hee: Brightness
- Hei: Wisdom
- Ho: Goodness, lake
- Hwan: Bright
- Hye: An intelligent and bright man
- Hyuk: Radiant
- Hyun: Bright, intelligent or virtuous
- Hyun Ki: Wise, clever, shrewd, astute, expert or intelligent
- Hyun Shik: Brilliant, smart or clever
- Il: Superiority
- In: Humanity, wise
- In-Su: Preserving wisdom
- Iseul: Dew
- Jae-Hwa: Rich and prosperity
- Jee: Wisdom
- Ji: Wisdom
- Jin: Jewel, truth
- Joo-Won: Original
- Joon: Extremely talented
- Jum: Ruler or king
- Jung: A virtuous man
- Jung-Hwa: Upright and rich
- Kang-Dae: Strong and mighty
- Korain: Glorious and luminous
- Kwan: Strong one
- Kwang-Sun: Generally good
- Kwang: Wild
Popular Korean names for boys
The following list includes some of the most popular Korean first names for boys that you would love:
- Mal-chin: Persists to the end
- Kyong: Brightness
- Min-jun: Handsome, sharp, quick, clever, and talented
- Myung: Clear and bright
- Myung-dae: Great righteousness
- Sam: Third in order
- Sang: Mutual
- Sang-hoon: Benevolent
- Seung: Successor or winning
- Shin: Belief
- So: Smile
- Soo: Long life or excellence
- Sang-ook: One who is always healthy and well
- Seo-Jun: Auspicious
- Seok: Like a rock
- Suk: Stone or rock
- Suk-Chin: Means unshakable rock
- Sung: Finished or complete
- Tae: A great individual
- Tae-geun: Foundation or root
- Tae-hui: Superior, great, big
- Tae-u: Foolish, stupid, or great and exalted
- Tae-hyeong: Exalted, superior, big
- Won-shik: Means the head of the family
- Yong-sun: Dragon in the first position
- Young: Forever unchanging
- Young-jae: Stands for one destined to be forever prosperous
- Young-soo: Keeping prosperity
The naming tradition among Koreans
Some Koreans usually follow the tradition of giving children a generation name.
Most Korean family names come from a single syllable, which is dependent on the individual’s generation. In South and North Korea, the surname and generation level precedes the person’s first name.
For example, two cousins from one generation may be called Ahn Jaemo or Ahn Yujin, Ahn being the generational family name. The other generation’s family name will come from a different syllable.
Highlighted below are some of the top Korean given names and surnames and what they mean:
- Ahn: Tranquility
- Bae: Pear
- Bai: White or something pure
- Byun: Impatient, excitable, border or edge
- Cha: Chariot
- Chai: Brushwood or firewood
- Chang: Flourishing or prosperous
- Cheong: Gentle or quiet
- Chin: Ancient or exhibit
- Choi/Choe: Lofty or high tower
- Chong: Extend or stretch
- Chun: Field
- Do: Roadway or path
- Gim: Gold
- Ha: Grand or summer
- Han: Leader or country
- Ho: Fierce or brave
- Hong: Great or expand
- Hyun: Mysterious or profound
- Jee: Ambition or will
- Jin: Gold
- Jun: Handsome
- Kang: Ginger
- Kil: Cool
- Kwon: Authority or power
- Mong: Ignorance or suffer
What is a good Korean boy name?
What makes a monicker good or perfect is its meaning. Parents choose different monickers for their babies for different reasons.
Some parents pick their babies' names based on their meaning, others based on history, while some parents choose monickers for their babies based on how cool they sound.
The best name for your baby is the one you love and the one that your child will be proud of when they grow up.
Many Korean boy names have really cool meanings. Choose the ones you love most from the list above, or you can use the list as inspiration to create a unique monicker for your bouncing baby boy.
READ ALSO: Classical Latin names for boys and girls
As reported by Legit.ng, if you want names that will make your child stand out and proud whenever their name is called, you should try Latin names.
Classical Latin names have a rich history and meanings you will love, and your child will love them too when he grows up.