Over 69 children trapped as three-storey building collapses in Lagos (photos)

Over 69 children trapped as three-storey building collapses in Lagos (photos)

An undisclosed number of children of a primary school are feared to have been killed after a three-storey building reportedly collapsed in Lagos state on Wednesday, March 13.

Channels TV reports that other persons are believed to be trapped in the debris of the collapsed structure which was reportedly housing a primary school on the top floor.

READ ALSO: 2019 guber elections: List of states taken over, retained, lost by APC, PDP so far

The building located at the Itafaji area of Lagos Island was reported to be a residential building with several apartments.

The building collapse was also confirmed by Kehinde Adebayo, the spokesperson for the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency.

He said emergency officials were already on ground. At the time the news of the incident emerged, the cause of the collapse was yet to be ascertained.

Breaking: Many children feared dead as three-storey building reportedly collapses in Lagos

Several persons were inside the building when it collapsed on the occupants
Source: UGC

Breaking: Many children feared dead as three-storey building reportedly collapses in Lagos

The building collapse was also confirmed by Kehinde Adebayo, the spokesperson for the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency.
Source: UGC

Breaking: Many children feared dead as three-storey building reportedly collapses in Lagos

Some persons including students are said to have been rescued from the debris
Source: UGC

Breaking: Many children feared dead as three-storey building reportedly collapses in Lagos

A teacher who called from under the debris said about 20 children were trapped with her.
Source: UGC

Update from evacuation site: When Legit.ng correspondent got to the scene of the building collapse, residents said bout 70 children were trapped when the structure collapsed.

Some persons including students were said to have been rescued from the debris. Legit.ng was also told that some of the people trapped in the debris were making calls to their family members and friends begging for help.

A distressed lady who took her aunt’s children to school was weeping bitterly. She said the children initially did not want to go to school, but were urged to do so.

“The children said they didn’t want to go to school today but were forced to go, the lady said while weeping at the evacuation site and calling everybody to help her.

A teacher was said to have called from under the debris stating that about 20 children were trapped with her.

Legit.ng learned that so far only one person has been confirmed dead, but there are fears that the toll could rise.

READ ALSO: NAIJ.com upgrades to Legit.ng: a letter from our Editor-in-Chief Bayo Olupohunda

In another report, the Zamfara government on Tuesday, March 12, donated cash to families of those killed by gunmen in Kawaye village in Anka local government area of the state.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the gunmen had attacked the village, killing 13 persons and burnt down several houses and food items worth millions of naira.

The donation was presented by the speaker of the state House of Assembly, Alhaji Sanusi Rikiji, at Anka Emir’s palace, the headquarters of the local government.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better.

Election not a do or die affair - Sanwoolu | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel