The voice, like fingerprints, is unique. We always pay attention to a person with a beautiful voice, even if he or she does not sing, but just talks to us on the phone. But many things can spoil a voice — for example, tracheitis and laryngitis, loud performances (on stage or in karaoke), polluted air. We have prepared for you tips on how to get a sweet voice naturally for singing.
Voice training exercises
Developing strong high vocals requires a lot of time and efforts. Repeat these steps regularly, and you will soon notice how your voice improves. It works if you really try!
Before you start singing or perform exhausting vocal exercises, you should prepare and perform some simple tasks to warm up your voice:
- Yawn. Yawning will help stretch and open the mouth and throat, as well as relieve tension from the neck and diaphragm. Try to open your mouth wide and take a breath.
- Cough slightly. Imagine that you are squeezing the air out of your throat in short bursts. It will help to use the muscles of the lower chest and abdomen. You should use them during singing (as opposed to the muscles of the throat and upper chest).
- Make slight lip vibration. Squeeze your lips slightly and blow air through them, humming with the closed mouth. Focus on keeping your throat relaxed while doing this exercise. Train your lips to vibrate, from low notes to high, and vice versa. When you get used to doing this exercise, start humming the scale.
- Tighten all your muscles to teach your body to relax while singing. Then, do an exercise to vibrate your lips, starting from the lowest note to the highest. Do it immediately after you relax. Repeat, but now start from a high note and move to a low one.
- Singing with a closed mouth is another way to warm up your voice.
READ ALSO: Voice training tips for beginning singers
2. Hum the scale
Start singing from the lowest note, and then gradually move up the scale, singing "mi-mi-mi" until you reach the maximum possible for you. Then move in the opposite direction, singing "e-e-e." Do not overdo it. Hum easily and freely, gradually changing the range up and down. You can also do this exercise by singing "u-u-u."
3. Hum the scale with “woo-woo-woo”
Your mouth should look like you inhale long macaroni. When exhaling, you should make a sound "woo." It should sound like you are buzzing, like the sound of a Kazu instrument. When exhaling, the sound should be smooth. Do it for 2-3 times. Pronounce the sound "woo," changing the range up and down.
4. Practice smooth pronouncing of words and phrases
Speak groups of individual words or whole phrases without pausing between words. Say them in one word. Extend the vowels and underline the pronunciation of each word when you say or hum it. Imagine that you want to fill the room with your voice while singing/speaking. Focus on a smooth transition: move from high to low and from loud to soft parts of a song. Imagine that you are walking along a slope rather than a staircase.
- Example words: moon moan mourn mane mean.
5. Be ready to feel silly
Many vocal exercises sound and look pretty funny. Relax and just have fun. Here are two simple exercises that will help you to open your mouth:
- Slowly sing “meow,” emphasizing each sound - “me” and “ow.”
- Build strange faces, pulling the tongue in different directions. You can do it while singing or just making strange sounds.
6. Take a break
It is important to relax after doing vocal exercises, like with physical ones. Do the same vocal warm-up exercise that you started with (for example, yawn, cough slightly, make slight lip vibration or sing with the closed mouth). You can also buzz with the closed mouth, pronouncing the sound “m” and changing the range from high to low, and vice versa. You will feel a tickling around the nose and lips.
7. Remember to breathe and stay relaxed
No matter what you do, warming up, singing or speaking, deep breathing and a relaxed state of the body, throat, and face will allow you to achieve a sweet voice.
What to drink to have a good voice
Why the mucous membrane of the larynx dries out and what is the best way to avoid it? Medical studies have found that irritatingly to the vocal-speech organs affect both too hot and too cold drinks.
You have to avoid drinks that increase acidity in the throat, such as sugary soda and coffee. Drink more water, at least 8 glasses of water a day. You can drink more if you exercise or live in a hot climate. You can also add honey to the warm water. Take this drink every morning on an empty stomach.
Everyone knows about the benefits of raw eggs for voice. However, they should not be drunk before singing, as many vocalists advise, they should be consumed on a regular basis. Their regular drinking provides soft sounding of the voice. Raw eggs perfectly restore the strength of the vocalist and also soothes the throat.
READ ALSO: Foods to improve singing voice
Foods to improve singing voice
Nutrition is the base of the health of all organs and systems. Investigating in detail the effect of individual products on the vocal cords, scientists identified that there are products with a positive effect. Let's take a closer look at them.
- Honey. It perfectly soothes the throat after an illness or after heavy exercises. You can replace tea with warm water and honey. But it is not recommended to add lemon to it. It contains acid, which leads to drying of ligaments and the emergence of uncomfortable sensations.
- Low-fat types of fish. They are a pike, catfish, pollock, hake, etc. They contain protein but do not have too much fat. Excessively fatty fish often leads to indigestion and the removal of fluid from the body.
- Low-fat types of meat. They are chicken, rabbit, veal, low-fat pork. They are also sources of protein.
- Almond. It can be used as a tasty snack, as it is rich in protein.
- Spinach. It is another source of vitamin C.
- Blueberries. They contain a huge amount of antioxidants that have a positive effect on the state of the vocal cords. You can replace them with blackberries, red cabbage, olives or blue grapes.
- Broccoli. It is a storehouse of vitamin C and antioxidants. You can also eat other types of cabbages.
- Green apples. They contain not only vitamin C but also iron, the lack of which leads to anemia and reduced immunity.
- Garlic and onions. They contain allicin, which is highly valued for its antibacterial properties. In addition to protecting the body from infections, they also affect the level of cholesterol in the blood, reducing it, and improving well-being.
- Watermelon. It is a source of fluid and fiber. You can replace it with melon or cucumbers.
Foods not recommended if you want to have a sweet voice for singing:
- Seeds, peanuts, seasoned crackers, and salted nuts. They contain a lot of fat and salt, as well as irritating additives. Mucous membranes can lose their elasticity with their regular use. The voice becomes hoarse, and you may feel tickled. The vocalist should refuse them altogether.
- Spicy ketchup, mustard, horseradish, and seasoning. They can be added to food only in a small amount. You must not consume them 6 hours before singing. All of them not only irritate the throat but also contribute to the excessive production of mucus. It can even provoke a cough.
- Fat fried meat, potatoes, and chips, as well as spicy fast food. Fat deprives the elasticity of the vocal cords, which can lead to coughing and difficulty in singing. Any fatty foods should be eaten in the morning or a few hours before singing.
- Iced drinks such as Cola, Fanta or Sprite. They can cause a shocking reaction of the mucous membrane and lead to hoarseness of the voice.
- Alcoholic drinks, especially strong ones. The most harmful for voice are beer, brandy, vodka, and strong tonic, especially with ice. Just like any drinks with ice, they can burn the mucous with cold and lead even to a temporary loss of voice.
How to get sweet voice home remedies
It is not necessary to invent something to improve the voice. Just follow some tips:
- Sleep. If your body is tired, it will affect your voice. Adults should sleep 7–9 hours, for adolescents this time is longer from 8.5 to 9.5 hours. If you sleep at least 7.5 hours every night, but you still feel tired in the morning, consult a doctor.
- Relax. Stress affects everything negatively. Take time daily to do something to help you relax. You can do yoga, meditation, go for a walk, watch your favorite TV series, read a good book or play a musical instrument.
- Try not to scream. It is especially important if you will be singing soon. A scream can harm your voice and degrade its quality over the next few days.
- Listen to professional singers and broadcasters. Watch how they control their breathing, volume, articulation, modulation, oral habits, etc. If you like their style, try to imitate it. Imitation of style is a great way to learn how to sing because it forces you to do what you usually wouldn’t do.
- Compare how a singer sounds in a live performance with how he or she sounds on a recording. It’s just amazing what a sound engineer can achieve while recording. If you really liked the singer's audio recording, try to understand what is real from this and what the sound engineer did before you get upset and think: “I can never sing like this!"
Several things will help improve your voice, no matter what style you sing. There are many practical ways to improve the quality of your voice. To do this, you must learn how to breathe correctly, avoid certain foods, and also do special warming up exercises before you start singing or giving a speech. You can’t achieve success overnight, but if you put maximum effort and spend some time on it, you can certainly improve the quality of your voice.
It was once believed that a person can either sing or not. Now it is well-known that singing is as much a creative skill as, for example, drawing.
You can learn it! It's easier with natural talent, but without it, success is also achievable.
READ ALSO: Who is the best musician in Nigeria?