- President Buhari has blamed the Goodluck Jonathan administration for the rot in the nation’s health sector
- He said GEJ failed to invest in the sector in the period between 2010 and 2015, which was when Nigeria earned the highest from crude oil prices
- Buhari also added that the health sector was further crippled by the Boko Haram insurgency in the northeast
President Muhammadu Buhari has attributed the rot in the health sector to past governments; especially that of his predecessor, Goodluck Jonathan, whom he said neglected the sector between 2010 and 2015, Punch reports.
He made the comment via Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, at the 58th Annual Delegates Meeting and scientific conference of the Nigeria Medical Association which took place in Abuja on Thursday, May 3.
Legit.ng gathers that the president said his predecessor failed to seize the opportunity to invest in the health sector when the global price of crude oil was over $100 per barrel per day.
READ ALSO: We shall continue to arrest those who stole the nation’s money - Osinbajo
He said unless other concerned parties and donor agencies augment government’s efforts, paying for health care from budgets would not be able to improve the health sector. Hence, he called for an improvement in investments in public health care.
In his words: “It is no longer news that we inherited a troubled health care sector, and the sector has been troubled for a long time.
“As one of the manifestations of the severely low spending on infrastructure generally and in health care in particular, I think that what we have seen through the years is a scandalously low level of funding for public health care in Nigeria.
“The level of public sector investment in health care in our recent past has in no way reflected our earnings, the high oil earnings, especially in the period between 2010 and 2015. That was when we earned the highest from oil prices."
The president also added that the health sector was further crippled by the Boko Haram insurgency in the northeast which took a toll on the level of immunization and availability of medical personnel.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that former president Goodluck Jonathan debunked a statement reportedly credited to the presidency, that his government planned to sack thousands of federal civil servants, but was stopped by President Muhammadu Buhari.
The statement was reportedly made by the senior special assistant to President Buhari on media and publicity, Garba Shehu, in a May Day message to Nigerian civil servants.
Jonathan, reacting through his former aide, Reno Omokri, described the statement as false and uncalled for.
Jonathan replies to Buhari's allegations - on Legit.ng TV: