Anambra Election: NSA Monguno Issues Strong Warning to IPOB Members

Anambra Election: NSA Monguno Issues Strong Warning to IPOB Members

  • Members of the Indigenous People of Biafra have been warned to maintain peace and order at the Anambra election
  • The warning was issued against the group and its members by the National Security Adviser Babagana Monguno
  • Also, the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission has said that INEC will go ahead with the election irrespective of the sit-at-home order

Abuja - The National Security Adviser (NSA), Babagana Monguno, on Monday, October 25, issued a stern warning to members and of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) ahead of the November 6, Anambra election.

Premium Times reports that Monguno said this at the Inter-Agency Consultative Committee on Election Security (ICCES) meeting in Abuja.

He warned those with plans of disrupting the election to steer clear of the polling areas.

Babagana Monguno
The NSA has said that security operatives would not fold their arms and watch people disrupt the election Photo: Bright Ayaowei
Source: Facebook

At the meeting which was organised by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Monguno, the co-chairman of ICCES said security operatives have been advised to act professionally but would not fold their arms and allow anyone to cause mayhem during the election.

Read also

Anambra Guber Poll: Andy Ubah supporters send strong message to Anambrians

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Assured safety for Anambra people

Further assuring Nigerians and the entire people of Anambra state of security, the NSA said all efforts are being put in place to ensure that the Anambra election is without violence incident.

Monguno said:

“We are all eager to achieve results in this election that will be acceptable to everybody.
“I don’t think it will be helpful for anyone to go out and ignite something that might cause pain for the good people of Anambra State, under whatever disguise. Please think again."
“We will not allow people to start looting, destroying public property, and resorting to not just intimidation, terrorising people, possibly arson and even homicide.

INEC's resolve on election despite sit-at-home protest

In his address, the chairman of INEC, Mahmood Yakubu said the commission would go ahead with the scheduled election despite the sit-at-home by the IPOB.

Read also

2023 elections: Fresh crisis looms as APC, stakeholders disagree over winning chances in Anambra, Osun, Ekiti

According to Tribune, Yakubu said the commission has concluded on the deployment of non-sensitive materials while the training of officials for the election has been done virtually.

He said that INEC has successfully completed 12 out of 14 activities listed in its timetable for the election.

Yakubu said:

“The two outstanding activities are the last day of the campaign, at midnight on Thursday, November 4 and election day which remains Saturday, November 6."

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that INEC had said that it has recorded over 2.5 million registered voters for the Anambra election.

The commission said it has successfully updated its registerer by eliminating multiple registrations for the election.

The chairman of the commission said 62,698 individuals who were already registered but went ahead to double register were identified by the commission.

Also, the Delta state governor, Ifeanyi Okowa has commended lawmakers of the Senate for the decision to approve electronic transmission of election results in Nigeria.

Read also

Nnamdi Kanu: Tension over massive deployment of soldiers to southeast ahead of IPOB leader's trial

Okowa said the decision of the Senate after the pressure mounted on them by the public and civil society organisations is a victory for democracy.

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel