- Professor Uchenna Ikonne, the PDP governorship candidate in Abia state passed away in the early hour of Wednesday
- According to his son, Chikezie Uche-Ikonne, the PDP governorship candidate died after suffering from some cardiac arrest
- Ikonne's death is a great loss for the PDP and a big shake-up in the politic of Abia state ahead of the forthcoming governorship election
PAY ATTENTION: How media literate are you? Click to take a quiz – bust fake news with Legit.ng!
Umuahia, Abia - The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the family of Professor Uchenna Ikonne have been thrown into mourning over the death of the professor.
Professor Ikonne's death is also a great loss for the people of Abia state and a big shake-up in the state's political atmosphere.
Some facts about Professor Uchenna Ikonne
- The late professor is the governorship candidate of the PDP in Abia state in the 2023 election.
- According to BBC Pidgin, the late governorship candidate is a beneficiary of the scholarship scheme of the then Imo state government.
- Ikonne studied Optometry at the Manila Central University, Philippines, where he obtained the degree of O.D. (Doctor of Optometry) and MHA (Masters in Hospital Administration).
- He did a 4-year post-doctoral clinical specialist training and became a Fellow of the Nigerian College of Optometrists ((FNCO) with a specialisation in Primary Care Optometry.
- In 2006, he became a professor of Clinical Optometry.
- Until his death, he was the chairman of the Optometrist and Dispensing Opticians Registration Board of Nigeria.
- Also, he was the 7th vice chancellor of Abia state university.
- Professor Ikonne was born in Agburuike Nsulu, Agburuezeukwu Autonomous Community, Isiala Ngwa North LGA, Abia state.
PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!
Tears, Sorrow As PDP Governorship Candidate In Abia Dies
Legit.ng earlier reported that the PDP governorship flagbearer in Abia state, Professor Uchenna Ikonne, has died after suffering from a brief illness.
According to a statement from his son, Chikezie Uche-Ikonne, the governorship hopeful just returned from the UK where he had received treatment and was getting better.
However, the professor relapsed and was confronted with multiple cardiac arrests in which he could not survive.
Abia is one of the southeast states facing the menace of unknown gunmen and the current governor, Okezie Ikpeazu, is one of the aggrieved PDP governors who are referred to as the G5 or Integrity Group.